Plecs don’t eat wood

Food, feeding and diet.
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

Thought that would get your attention. Hope everyone is well.

The completion of a fascinating 14 year study of Loricariid digestion and gut microbes has concluded that ‘wood eating plecs’ do not actually digest wood, but consume soft (partly-digested my microbes) wood (and detritus) in order to digest the microbes and fungi that are on the wood breaking it down.

It’s far too technical for me, but the conclusions are not. :)

This means, obviously, that when we give our plecs a nice new clean piece of very hard wood to graze on, we are in effect giving them a tin of beans without a tin-opener.

Surprising stuff.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/ful ... zH57Lvc1z8
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1785 times
Been liked: 4203 times

I've always known it as wood aids digestion rather than them eating it :)
black ghost
Posting Legend

fr499y wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:42 am I've always known it as wood aids digestion rather than them eating it :)
And I always ‘knew’ that as incorrect. ;)

Edit... actually we were both wrong. It’s supplying them with food rather than aiding digestion. :)
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5051 times
Been liked: 3423 times

If they're eating they must be digesting.....well, hopefully...... ;) :D
black ghost
Posting Legend

plankton wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:14 pm If they're eating they must be digesting.....well, hopefully...... ;) :D
They don’t digest the wood, it passes right through them. Their gut microbes are not lignin- or cellulose-digesters.
Interestingly they found that each species of plec has different species of gut microbes, that are not directly related to the microbes in the surrounding environment. They’re passed on from parents to fry by the fry eating their parents’ poop (herbivores that have lost their gut microbes after capture for the aquarium trade eat the poop of other herbivores to replenish them). If we knew the identity of these microbes for all plec species we could identify the species just from it’s gut microbes.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5443 times
Been liked: 2668 times

black ghost wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:45 pm If we knew the identity of these microbes for all plec species we could identify the species just from it’s gut microbes.
Wow! Thats mad to think.
Although identifying microbes might be a little difficult for the average keeper :D
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

Not having read the whole article - does that also mean different types of wood would carry different types of microbes? Therefore, a certain wood might be better suited for a certain species of plec; but if one wants to keep different plecs, they would need different types of wood present?
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3409 times

black ghost wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:33 am This means, obviously, that when we give our plecs a nice new clean piece of very hard wood to graze on, we are in effect giving them a tin of beans without a tin-opener.
:D
I found that line quite humorous.

Thanks for that ::thumbu::

Stay safe & healthy everyone (and don't forget the tin opener)
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 12 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)