Trimming/Pruning vs Propagating

vpdanas
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 24 times

Hi all,

Please help...

On stem plants (plants in question Hygrophila Corymbosa & Cryptocoryne Undulatus Red) what's the best method for pruning.

I'm not looking to propagate as such. I'm pleased to say I have managed to successful propagate both. It's more the pruning for upkeep. Wherever I google, I get propagate info as opposed to trimming/pruning. I'm happy with my routine tending to the leaves (cutting overgrown/overshadowing upper ones, any imperfect ones given the mass of leaves that grow).

My issue specifically is the mass of roots that grow mid stem!! Congesting a big space as well as looking a little messy. (pics attached)

1) Can I just cut these extra roots from the sides or will the upper stem die off?
2) Should I cut from the node below the cluster of mid-roots to allow the stem to grow again (if so will this just repeat?!)
3) Should I remove the initial plant and propagate a rootless stem of the plant in it's place? (kind of against this, due to the root network developed under the soil substrate that are no doubt offering plant stability).

Not looking to propagate currently as good balance all things considered (e.g position of other plants, no more expendable space etc)

Any advice on the best way to tend to the root cluster above the soil would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks ::thumbu:: :swim:

Just for info have CO2 running at 2bps (lime green dc) / add tropica premium ferts / have 2 x 18w florescent t8 tubes under reflectors (approx. 3000lm) supplemented with extra 1450lm aquasky 2.0 led under hood)

::thumbu:: :]

SxAqua
Has liked: 486 times
Been liked: 353 times

Yeah whats all that root business about. I hate that 😡 Please someone enlighten us 😄
vpdanas

SxAqua wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 18:14 pm Yeah whats all that root business about. I hate that 😡 Please someone enlighten us 😄
Ha! I’m guessing you didn’t understand the question ...

I’ve seen many an example of aquariums that don’t have the big clusters roots above the substrate.

Can I cut these mid stem roots away to keep it tidy?
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

As far as I know this is just part of the plants' mechanism to spread. I have the Hygrophila Polysperma in my tank and it grew upwards but also sideways, then anchored itself into the gravel and sent upwards shoots towards the surface, thereby creating a 'curtain' of plants. Its obviously a personal preference that you don't like the 'natural look', so you could just clip them off.

I'm guessing when you first got a bunch of them they looked neat, no roots (maybe a few little shoots at the bottom of the stem) and you would like to keep the tank looking as fresh and neat as it was when it was first set up. One way to do this would be to take off the healthy cleaner shoots from the top and replant those, taking out the older parts of the plant. However, that would disturb the root system, as you mentioned and over time weaken the plant. Also, the more you trim the original stem and remove old leaves, the more side shoots and also stem roots the plant will produce - from the plant's point of view its all about spreading far and wide. By creating new shoots and ready made roots, any bits that break off and (in nature) travel down a river have the potential to anchor themselves in anywhere. Quite clever really :)

Now you have this plant in your tank you would have to constantly 'battle' against its nature in order to keep the crisp look you're after.
(Sorry, that turned into a longer answer than anticipated. Hope it still helps a bit.)
vpdanas

Ric wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 19:10 pm As far as I know this is just part of the plants' mechanism to spread. I have the Hygrophila Polysperma in my tank and it grew upwards but also sideways, then anchored itself into the gravel and sent upwards shoots towards the surface, thereby creating a 'curtain' of plants. Its obviously a personal preference that you don't like the 'natural look', so you could just clip them off.

I'm guessing when you first got a bunch of them they looked neat, no roots (maybe a few little shoots at the bottom of the stem) and you would like to keep the tank looking as fresh and neat as it was when it was first set up. One way to do this would be to take off the healthy cleaner shoots from the top and replant those, taking out the older parts of the plant. However, that would disturb the root system, as you mentioned and over time weaken the plant. Also, the more you trim the original stem and remove old leaves, the more side shoots and also stem roots the plant will produce - from the plant's point of view its all about spreading far and wide. By creating new shoots and ready made roots, any bits that break off and (in nature) travel down a river have the potential to anchor themselves in anywhere. Quite clever really :)

Now you have this plant in your tank you would have to constantly 'battle' against its nature in order to keep the crisp look you're after.
(Sorry, that turned into a longer answer than anticipated. Hope it still helps a bit.)
No don’t apologise .. fully appreciate your time and the info. Didn’t really comprehend the relationship between trimming and consequent extensive ‘side-shooting’ but makes complete sense!

I think I’m looking for a midway outcome; enough exposed roots for a natural look and create natural habitats for the fish but enough removed to offer some sense of aesthetics. I’m all for many (healthy) leaves, love big bushy/‘bunchy’ plants (providing they are not being detrimental to lower level leaves/other plants - that and the hen leaves turn for the worst is when I’ll de-leaf) ... but yes, this was all about those massive clusters of exposed roots. Think I’ll try trimming some away to thin it out whilst retaining some natural visuals.

Many thanks for the input
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1785 times
Been liked: 4203 times

They are called aerial roots :)

It helps the plants anchor onto stuff, get more nutrients etc. You can cut the plants just below the aerial roots and replant ( will help them stay in as well ) I personally don't mind them. They kind of remind me of a willow
SxAqua
Has liked: 486 times
Been liked: 353 times

Ric wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 19:10 pm As far as I know this is just part of the plants' mechanism to spread. I have the Hygrophila Polysperma in my tank and it grew upwards but also sideways, then anchored itself into the gravel and sent upwards shoots towards the surface, thereby creating a 'curtain' of plants. Its obviously a personal preference that you don't like the 'natural look', so you could just clip them off.

Perfectly explained... It figures. Basically I've been dicking about with my plants too much(who'd of guessed). I will try and learn from this. Thank you 😁