40L tank
Cold water
tetra filter
gravel
ornament
2 plastic plants
light
airstone

i wish to add a Bonsai tree, looks great but need to know what to lookout for before purchasing.

will the tree affect any water parameters? such as KH GH pH etc
how long do you guys recommend i leave the tree in boiling kettle water for before inserting it into the tank?
which moss would be ideal for the environment? the tank is at room temp as i am not using a heater.

any thoughts or ideas will be helpful
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5055 times
Been liked: 3424 times

Are you making the bonsai from redmoor root and moss on it?
If I remember the roots don't leach as much tannins into the water, thereby affecting the parameters slightly, but take ages to sink.
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 857 times
Been liked: 1824 times

If it’s one you’ve purchased from eg Aquarium Gardens, it’ll say if it’s likely to leach anything. But generally it’ll be a case of soak in a bucket until it stays sunk. The hot water will get out most tannins. Could be days or weeks to get properly saturated though. Java moss will do fine in a temperate tank.
samee
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 7 times

i am deciding to purchase a pre made bonsai, so will let it sit in boiling water for some time probably a few days as i am in no rush, after which i will add java moss as it seems quite easy to do for a beginner.

i am hoping to get something like a tree shaped bonsai, its proving a bit difficult. i have visited a few local aquatics shops and literally don't sell any bonsai trees.

i actually like the look of the one Aquarium Garden. any other good stores about?

how much moss should i get 1 tub or 2? my fish tend to chase each other about so don't want then hitting the edges