The big return - help needed

sh4d0w

Hello to each and every one of you.

I am new here, hence being post #1 - ha.

My name is Martin, 15 miles out of Manchester and lucky enough to have the Abyss 5 minutes away.

I have always enjoyed fish keeping and in the past kept both fresh and salt water aquariums, my last being salt. We sold up when we moved houses about 5 years ago. I would like to say that things are calming down now... they are not! still a building site. Anyway, its time i got back into the hobby.

I am here today looking for help, advice and inspiration on A Planted Aquascape with a real mixture of plants - we want bright and active fish so likely to be a tank of tetras and rummy noses with some fillers - really am open to suggestions etc.

We are about to have an extension drawn up and plans submitted to LA, the tank will eventually be moved into another room so we could class this as a dummy run for my first scape BUT ideally i would like to try and be happy first time and worry about the weight and moving later down the line.

So, here is what i have just bought:

Eheim Incpiria 330
Eheim pro 4 600 (was a toss up with the FX6 but couldn’t be bothered with the maintenance set back on the fx) i will get some BioHome ultimate and new sponges for the filter
2x Eheim Quick Release double taps - for either side of my UV - Do i need these... really? £30 each i can take back for credit.
JBL pro 500 inline heater
JBL m502 co2 kit
JBL in-line diffuser
Tmc vectron 600 uv
2x JBL volcano mineral (18l)
3x JBL Aqua basis plus (15l)
1x JBL mando (21l)
2x Juwel Stone Granite 3D backgrounds

I only went into the shop for a "look" and came out a lot of cash down, oops. So, i dont even know if what ive come away with is the best for needs really, i guess that is the first question, should i take anything back to change it?

related to my first aforementioned question, i dont think i want A 3D background, i like the look of some of the tanks i have seen where you can see the glass back, what are your thoughts on this? for NOW the tank is sat in an internal window area and can be viewed from all 4 sides - if i opt for the background, can it be added later down the line?

I plan on building up some raised sections with the Volcano min followed by a layer of basis plus and topped off with natural mando - am i on the right path with this?

the Eheim tank comes with the two LED lights but no controller - do you think i would benefit from the controller? it is an extra £110 but will allow me to set sunrise and sunset and moon lighting etc.

UV - I have always had UV on my salt'ys but never fresh - is this required/beneficial ?

Finally, for now. my M502 kit... should i have spent the extra money and gone with the M503 and taken onboard the computer? - i have the chance to pay the difference and swap over.

What else do i need to think about guys? Have i missed anything?

I know i need testing kits and chems etc, i just need to go over what i have here before i commit, JBL the way to go for testing?

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to read this and even bigger thanks to those who take their time to respond ;-)

Andys temperate tank
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Has liked: 4375 times
Been liked: 2888 times

Morning Martin. Welcome to the forum. That's a lovely tank you've bought.

Backgrounds are a personal choice. I like them for hiding cables and pipework. We went for black in our big tank. Theres a video in my tank log of my 34 rummies shoaling if youd like to see that.

Make sure you start a tank log of your set up.
64l kitchen tank: 16 golden tetra.
5ft 425L: 7 blue angel fish, 30 rummie nose tetra, 20 black neon tetra, 1 longfin bristlenose plec, 2 corydoras sterbai, 2 SAE.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4220 times
Been liked: 3888 times

Greetings, we'll be here, first suggestion if I may, think you might need a slightly larger aquarium my friend although I have never kept this species.....

.....from what I understand they do grow somewhat larger than this! :grin:
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1415 times
Been liked: 3407 times

Hi Martin

You have been busy spending money.
sh4d0w wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:23 am So, here is what i have just bought:

Eheim Incpiria 330
Eheim pro 4 600 (was a toss up with the FX6 but couldn’t be bothered with the maintenance set back on the fx) i will get some BioHome ultimate and new sponges for the filter
2x Eheim Quick Release double taps - for either side of my UV - Do i need these... really? £30 each i can take back for credit.
JBL pro 500 inline heater
JBL m502 co2 kit
JBL in-line diffuser
Tmc vectron 600 uv
1x JBL mando (21l)
2x Juwel Stone Granite 3D backgrounds

I only went into the shop for a "look" and came out a lot of cash down, oops. So, i dont even know if what ive come away with is the best for needs really, i guess that is the first question, should i take anything back to change it?
The Eheim Pro4 600 comes with excellent media, so no need to get BioHome ultimate.
However if you have 2 bottom trays full of Mech Pro (black plastic rings) I would be inclined to swap it for Eheim Mech which are ceramic rings.
The reason I suggest that is although the Mech Pro (black plastic rings) are excellent, I found that when doing filter maintenance that the plastic rings float and because they float can become annoying and the odd one can get trapped elsewhere if you're not observant. When I have repositioned the filter head after filter maintenance, the odd plastic ring has trapped between the filter head and filter box.
The theory behind these plastic rings is ingenious and they do a fantastic job, because they float they are even better than the Eheim Mech (ceramic rings) but I personally found them annoying.
If you feel you want to swap out the Eheim bioMECH for additional biological media then can I suggest additional Eheim Substratpro. I have used BioHome ultimate/ultra but went back to the Eheim Substratpro, the Eheim media is superb and my No1 choice.

Do you need UV?
Probably not. Although for a perfect environment that is algae free then a UV may be useful as long as the flow is low enough to deal with the algae spores and even lower to deal with parasites.
As you will be using CO2 then I doubt if algae will be an issue unless you overfeed the fish.
I am sure that with your positive intentions for a planted aquarium that any nutrients will be taken up by the plants and therefore not give algae a chance to establish.
It's getting the balance of nutrients correct for the plants.

Do you need the 3D background?
I think that is down to personal choice.
I have painted my background black (outside of aquarium glass), this enhances the greenery of the plants. As I have a smooth surface (glass) then this is easier, in my view, to clean.
1x JBL mando (21l)
This is your choice of substrate, make sure that you rinse the JBL Manado thoroughly.

All the best.
Please keep us informed with a tank log.
I'm excited for you and look forward to your progress.

Stay safe & healthy everyone
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 13 x Cory sterbai 52 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)