Water conditioner out of date?

Aquarium Decor, DIY and Equipment.
jacksdad
Posting Legend
Has liked: 194 times
Been liked: 272 times

Prime is used to control other things than Chlorine & Chloramine, the recommended dose is what you should use, regardless of what your area levels are. I'm adding 0.8ml to each of my water change containers, so even using all 3 once a week I'm only using pennies worth :)
Munchy2007
Has liked: 158 times
Been liked: 253 times

mikeyw64 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 18:31 pm I'd hardly call Seachem Prime expensive. 500ml bottle on Amazon is about the same as a pint or two and a kebab (unless you live down sarf) :)
Dahn sarf is where I live, but it's still the best value for money as far as I have seen.
jacksdad
Posting Legend

I live Oop North, in the best county on Gods green earth, I don't drink but do enjoy a weekly Tandoori Mix grill, which costs £7.95, which is pretty much the same as 250ml of Prime...I know which lasts longest! :)
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

Thanks for all your replies and suggestions.

I've chucked the out-of-date lot :cry: (sniff!) and because it was water change day today, popped into my local P@H and bought a bottle of Tetra AquaSafe. Not the cheapest option, I know, but easily dosable and it seems to work very well.

This now gives me time to put in an order for Seachem Prime.

Another question to the chemically minded: on the Seachem Prime bottle it states it ''detoxifies ammonia, nitrite and nitrate''. Does this deprive the bacteria of their food, i.e. no ammonia = no ammonia munching bacteria? And does it also deprive plants of nitrate? Simple answers for a simple mind, please. I'd rather listen to a math formula being explained to me than chemistry, never got my head around that one [woo]
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5424 times
Been liked: 2667 times

No it doesn’t deprive the bacteria or plants of any food, it converts them into non toxic (ammonia into ammonium) versions which bacteria and plants still take up happily. Its also handy in an emergency situation (eg ammonia spike) as it can be dosed at 5x the required amount to nullify any toxins rapidly.
jacksdad
Posting Legend

The Tetra stuff is good, just expensive, I think its a given that Prime is the best all round product! I would suggest you get a few dosing pipettes or syringes that have 1/10 ml graduations, so you can accurately dose your new water. I use 30 litre drums to hold the fresh water, this only needs 0.8 ml of Prime, so its important to have accurate kit :)
I add fertiliser and liquid carbon every day, as learnt on here, which also needs 1 tenth measurements