Aqua One AquaNano 60 - 100L - filter problem

Aquarium Decor, DIY and Equipment.
Redpanda
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 854 times
Been liked: 284 times

Hiya. My friend has got Aqua One AquaNano 60 - 100L and she noticed that water doesn’t fill up some of the compartments at the back. I’ve never had a tank with such set up and really not sure what to suggest. My initial idea is to try and rinse sponges and media in case it’s clogged. They have topped up water in those compartments and instantly it drained down to about a third. The problem is obviously media isn’t in water and I fear it will reduce good bacteria massively. Her water parameters are still good apart quite high nitrate ( out the tap in London).
I thought I will post here and see if there are any other bright ideas or suggestions how to fix it ASAP.
As you can see in the photo, 2 first compartments have water, the others down to a third. Also water flow doesn’t seem to have reduced or not noticeably.

Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4246 times
Been liked: 3909 times

Two thoughts spring to mind having used sumps in the past, this filter although built in, it is a sort of sump filter.

First, is pump emptying out the filter too fast, in that case have you tried turning down the pumps flow, from your image, think the pump is sitting in the correct position as per the instructions.

Second thought is, has your friend added too much media in some of the chambers therefore impeding the flow of water through the filter.

Destructions for this filter model are found here. :grin:
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1787 times
Been liked: 4206 times

What I’d do ( and normally do with these tanks ) is remove the two cartridges from the first chamber ( where the water drains into ) and stick some floss in the little cage instead. These block so quickly and are a waste of time.
Redpanda
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Hiya. Thanks so much, They’ve cleaned and rinsed everything- no change. When pump is off, the water levels out. Wonder if it’s something wrong with pump? They’ve taken it apart and cleaned but apparently looked all ok. There is no way of adjusting of flow on this pump. it’s happened suddenly and was working perfectly fine . If they were to replace it, where is the best to start looking?
The first two cartridges are filled with ceramic balls, maybe too tight??
Thanks again for your help
Wishafish
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 353 times

I’d try running it with all the chambers empty and see if it’s ok. If it is then something about the way the chambers are filled is restricting the flow too much.
:] 🦐 🐌
125L: Corydoras trilineatus, Endlers, celestial pearl danios, Amano shrimp, nerite snails, MTS
25L: cherry shrimp, nerite snails, MTS
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner

Redpanda wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:50 am Hiya. Thanks so much, They’ve cleaned and rinsed everything- no change. When pump is off, the water levels out. Wonder if it’s something wrong with pump? They’ve taken it apart and cleaned but apparently looked all ok. There is no way of adjusting of flow on this pump. it’s happened suddenly and was working perfectly fine . If they were to replace it, where is the best to start looking?
The first two cartridges are filled with ceramic balls, maybe too tight??
Thanks again for your help
My guess is the two sponges are blocking the flow as thats where the water is at its highest. Remove one and see how you get on. From what i can see, it flows from left to right. Sponge > Sponge > Ceramic > Catridges > Return pump.

IF its the standard aquaone pump, it should have a small slider under it ( used to be blue ) but even at max settings it shouldn't have an issue, Infact I ran a eheim compact 300 in my old nano 40 without an issue.
Redpanda
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Super! Thanks so much. That’s very simple and great idea - I didn’t even think to run without all/some media to narrow down the problem. 🙄🙄😂

Thanks again 👍👍👍
Redpanda
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

They will try removing media one by one and see if they can narrow down the problem.
Below is video to show what happens when pump starts :
https://youtube.com/shorts/XNYB5mkE1_w?feature=share

Also in case need to look for replacement pumps, would something like this work?
https://www.swelluk.com/eheim-compacton ... mxEALw_wcB

fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner

From that clip it’s certainly a blockage from filter media somewhere, the pump is fine.
Redpanda
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Thanks a lot. I think it’s improved a lot after the rinsing sponges more, then they will look at replacing sponges one at the time as they look really bad. Thanks again 👍