Carbonated Water

The science behind successful fishkeeping.
BIGFISH
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 58 times

One consequence of being on the "injured" list is that I have plenty of time for indulging in pointless contemplation! My latest topic for idle thought is "Carbonated water" can it be used as a source of Co2 in the aquarium? My locaol Tesco/Morrisons sell carbonated water for 17p per 2ltr bottle is this a cheap alternative to the more normal methods of adding gas to your tank?
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4220 times
Been liked: 3888 times

I'm half asleep, and don't believe I'm looking this stuff up at this time of the morning but... sorry @BIGFISH think you'll find it's a no-no!

Quote from Wikipedia as follows;

Chemistry, Carbon dioxide gas dissolved in water at a low concentration (0.2–1.0%) creates carbonic acid (H2CO3)[17] according to the following reaction:

H2O (l) + CO2 (g) ⇌ 2CO3 (aq)

The acid gives carbonated water a slightly tart flavor. The pH level between 3 and 4[18] is approximately in between apple juice and orange juice in acidity, but much less acidic than the acid in the stomach. A normal, healthy human body maintains pH equilibrium via acid–base homeostasis and will not be materially adversely affected by consumption of plain carbonated water.[11] Alkaline salts, such as sodium bicarbonate, potassium bicarbonate, or potassium citrate, will increase pH.

The amount of a gas that can be dissolved in water is described by Henry's Law. In the carbonization process, water is chilled, optimally to just above freezing, to maximize the amount of carbon dioxide that can be dissolved in it. Higher gas pressure and lower temperature cause more gas to dissolve in the liquid. When the temperature is raised or the pressure is reduced (as happens when a container of carbonated water is opened), carbon dioxide effervesces, thereby escaping from the solution.

It's a very low amount of CO2 and the line "sodium bicarbonate, potassium bicarbonate, or potassium citrate, will increase pH" promptly kills the idea to me.

Good night! :sleepy2:
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
mikeyw64
Posting Legend
Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 1275 times

you could however kill 2 birds with one stone and set up a home brewing zone next to your aquarium :)
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1773 times
Been liked: 4164 times

This is how Takashi Amano first discovered co2 in the aquarium and the benefits of using it. The problem was how little control you have over it and how much actually gets absorbed.
mikeyw64
Posting Legend
Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 1275 times

carbonated water or home brewing?
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1773 times
Been liked: 4164 times

ha! carbonated water

This is the post i remember:- https://www.adana.co.jp/en/aquajournal/amanos-view_003/
Martinspuddle
Has liked: 4220 times
Been liked: 3888 times

fr499y wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:49 am ha! carbonated water

This is the post i remember:- https://www.adana.co.jp/en/aquajournal/amanos-view_003/
Well I did know that one although I say, he did limit it to plants only. I would be a little concerned about effects to any fishes.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Suse
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 440 times

I inject CO2 and am basically turning my tank into a soda stream when it's on. Some people actually use soda stream bottles as their CO2 source!!

I don't think pouring a bottle of carbonated water will do much as you need sustained gas input over the light period (or at least the first few hours) to have an effect. A CO2 kit basically allows you to make a fizzy tank in a controlled way ;)

The cost isn't so bad. I bought the bells and whistles kit from Aquarium Gardens for £150 18 months ago. Pennies to run since - a £15 CO2 2kg fire extinguisher lasts me 6 months in my 240l tank.