Netsu tank log

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
Netsu
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 199 times

After the current lighting I have, I don’t think I want it to be full strength much at all!

Like the idea of mixing colours and softening standard white light.
Suse
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 440 times

Yeah I have my Plant 3.0 on at 50% of the suggested "planted tank" setting, for exactly the same reason as Pleco Fan. Plants still grow well with it.

That's great if they are doing well without CO2, one less hassle ;)

I have the 406 and it's perfectly good, so if you can get it cheaper than the 407 that sounds a good deal.
Netsu
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

It got delivered this evening. Just too tired to do anything with it. I’ll probably set up during the week.

Going to cut some new sponges (bought some coarse and fine ones off amazon last year, following “pondguru” filter set up) and put all existing media along with new ones into the baskets.

With the light have you programmed a full morning / day / night schedule?

I have some algae and diatoms but I’ve just come to accept them as part of eco system. In other words I just can’t be bothered to take decor / plants out to scrub every week!
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

I have some algae and diatoms but I’ve just come to accept them as part of eco system. In other words I just can’t be bothered to take decor / plants out to scrub every week!

I'm with you on that one. A little bit of algae should not be a problem and, if anything, might provide some feeding opportunity for some of your inhabitants. If it takes over, then of course something is not right. Otherwise it just comes down to personal aesthetics.
Suse
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

I have mine programmed to come on at 4pm (with a 5 min sunrise - just to avoid shocking the fish, though not sure they care!) and it goes off at 10.30pm, again with a 5 min sunset.

I don't need night and morning settings so haven't bothered with anything more complicated - it's just off the rest of the time. Though I do put it on manually if I have guests round at other times, or just want to watch it for a while when having breakfast :)

I use the "planted tank" setting and have manually reduced each of the light colours by 50% as I was having a BBA problem on my driftwood with the full strength setting. Full strength will probably be too much if you aren't injecting CO2. But it's fun to play around with.

Any chance of a tank shot? :swim:
Netsu
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

I’ve read that it can be left on 24/7 due to its features but I guess if there’s natural light and no one to see it there’s not as much point? Otherwise I’d just have on lowest setting. I guess I’ll have a play around / do some YouTube homework before I actually get it!

I’ve just made the switch to 406, wow that’s powerful output! Tank will be well aerated (especially when I have the air stone on!) Unfortunately I don’t think the floating plants will stand a chance! Even within the barrier I’ve made they’re still being bashed about! Oh well, I’ve tried (twice) but may accept defeat it becomes too much hassle.

Question: would it be worth adding Tetra safe start bacteria to tank to replace anything that’s lost?

I’ve obviously just used all the existing bio media but some of the sponges were in dire need of a change (they’ve been in there for a year!)

And as requested: a couple of shots! Actually found both my Amanos hanging out together which is rare.

Also the harlequins are going crazy near the output jet stream!

Suse
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wow that's a stunning tank! Do you use Excel / liquid carbon, or just completely low tech?

Personally I just switched the media over and there were no problems at all. It wouldn't hurt to add Safe Start or Stability but personally I do not think it's necessary.

With the light - sorry, yes, it does "run" 24/7 but outside of the photoperiod there is no LED output at all - you don't have to have it on a night setting or blue light or anything (unless you want to). So you don't need a separate timer switch.
Netsu
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

I use Easy Carbo every other day (which is more of an algae killer apparently), flourish root tabs and whatever the liquid equivalent is (I split the suggested dose over a few days).

All the plants are from the “easy” section of aquarium gardens.
Pleco Fan
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 209 times

Very nice scape Netsu, the Harlequins look like their having fun. :swim:
Netsu
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Having a play around on Aqadvisor (now that my filtration has increased a tad!)

Do you think this would work? The BN pleco and blue tetra would be the additions.

Filtration is 105%

And I’m aware it’s just a guide! What do you think? Would the pleco add too much waste?