Lees Tank 2: The Nano

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs
Lee_k
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: Lees Tank 2: The Nano

Post by Lee_k » Thu Nov 21, 2019 19:45 pm

Hi all,

Been away with work for a few days, got back - light had arrived!

So put the light in, and moved a bit of the "grass" into the tank see how it settles, it might stay or I may put a different plant in.

Did a test for ammonia and nitrite - both present so the cycle has started! - Had 0.5 ammonia and 1.0 nitrite

Now logic says, been a small amount of water I need less bacteria for the bacteria to start winning the fight vs ammonia/nitrite. Any actual science in that?

Bad bit - the 3 day old heater had failed! - Filled in the return form and ordered another which should be here tomorrow.

Lee

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 131 times
Been liked: 107 times

Post by plankton » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:54 am

You still need to top the ammonia up to 2ppm, the size of the tank doesn't make much difference as you're using less ammonia for a smaller volume of water - it still takes a similar amount of time for the munchers to process the toxins.

Lee_k

Post by Lee_k » Fri Nov 22, 2019 21:04 pm

Ammonia was a little greener today on the test today - i don't really want to drop more food in to just rot! - The food in there will continue to rot and produce ammonia I suppose. Although the ammonia could of been higher when I was away for a few days.

Im just waiting and hoping for the 0/0 so the 3 year old can stop asking for one of them "red fish" :D

Lee

Lee_k

Post by Lee_k » Wed Nov 27, 2019 18:38 pm

10 days in..... still waiting!

Ammonia got up to around 2, its down to about 1 again today and nitrites is around 1 also.

I've put no more chemicals in and just been letting the water/bacteria do its thing - dont want the chemicals to give a false reading on the test.

Its become a little game now, I do the test and then when the alarm beeps little man goes running in to check the colours, then all disappointed "Daddy, its still purple and green!" (He knows hes after yellow and blue!)

Lee

mikeyw64
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 44 times

Post by mikeyw64 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 18:51 pm

took me around 8 weeks in total to get a (fish in) cycle to the point I was comfortable to start adding more. 10 Days (even for a fishless cycle from what I've seen posts about) is nothing.

Tap (avg) :: PH 7.2 :: GH 2.9 :: KH 1
80L :: The Fireplace Community:: PH 6.8 :: GH 4 :: KH 1 Temp 22.5 :: 4 Platy :: 8 Neon Tetra :: 10 Ember Tetra :: 6 Panda Cory

300L :: The Sunnyside 300 :: on order
100LTank (Snug Desktop) :: under consideration as a harder water community tank to move the Platys too