The Sunnyside 300 :: Tank Log

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
SxAqua
Has liked: 486 times
Been liked: 353 times

Sorry I can't help you with your algae issue Mikey but this is the (I'll interject... My wife just showed me a video so I paused typing at the top sentence. My wife noticed it and was in stitches 😄) Back to the topic. This is the first log I've got to read all the way through (as my own tank has just calmed down somewhat).

I've got to say firstly I'm very envious ! What a fantastic scape you've made. Love the sloping design and the air curtains ! I have to say I've been back to look at my tank and I'm already unhappy with half of it ! (I can see changes coming ) 😄

It's so helpful for a begginer like myself (although relatively speaking your a begginer yourself) to read your log and pick up snippets here and there.

Great work ! Love the apisto's ! Will be keeping tabs on how your getting on.

Hope you find a solution to the plants. It's a bit of a lottery isnt it ! They are just as fussy as fish if not more so. So many variables. I've had such mixed results with plants so far. Flow (deadspots) hardness come up a lot(doubt its lighting). Anyway good luck with that and keep us all posted 👍
SxAqua

Ow and I did have a quick question ! I watched your feeding vid and they all go nuts. My rasboras just arent like that. They pick at the odd bit of flake on the way down and a couple of them have realised they can get bits from the surface.

Regarding your soup though Mikey... Am I feeding wrong just dropping the flake in the water or is it better to mix with water first together more of it to sink? I realise your mixing other foods in with yours of course.
mikeyw64
Posting Legend
Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 1275 times

SxAqua wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 21:32 pm "lots of nice things"
Thanks for those words , yes I am very much a beginner having only started in the water keeping hobby at the end of August last year and I've certainly learnt a lot from this forum.

Fireside is just over 7 months old now (commissioned 25 Aug) and has (I think) finally started to settle down having seen its fair share of diatoms/brown algae, hair algae & cyanobacteria. Castle is even newer (although simpler) than Sunnyside and is currently going through a quite nice green algae phase(on the walls) and just noticed some diatoms starting up, must go in and give that a good wipe. That said the matten filter is starting to take on a nice green hue :)

Which is probably why I think out loud, fully aware that Sunnyside is in it's early days yet, if nothing else you have to be pragmatic and accept that there will likely be issues as you go along :)

Main priority for me is making sure the residents are happy & healthy after that I'll worry about the cosmetics :grin: :swim:
mikeyw64
Posting Legend

SxAqua wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 21:55 pm Ow and I did have a quick question ! I watched your feeding vid and they all go nuts. My rasboras just arent like that. They pick at the odd bit of flake on the way down and a couple of them have realised they can get bits from the surface.

Regarding your soup though Mikey... Am I feeding wrong just dropping the flake in the water or is it better to mix with water first together more of it to sink? I realise your mixing other foods in with yours of course.
I wouldn't say it was wrong, I've just found from trial & error that my residents like the soup method especially in Sunnyside (As someone pointed out the Bleeding hearts are related to piranhas lol). On the other hand whilst I use soup in Fireplace I also add a few floating flakes as the Platys seem happier with that method. Actually in Castle (which only has Platy young in now) its almost exclusively very finely crushed flake added.

Oh and in both Sunnyside & Fireplace I also drop in some pellets for the Corys
SxAqua

I'll give it a go 👍
mikeyw64
Posting Legend

Came down this morning to find the (Albino) Corys munching on the remains of either a Cardinal or RummyNose. Speaking of Corys I think at some point I may have lost 2 of the Sterbais as recently I've only seen a max of 3 at any one time, then again there are lots of hiding places for them.

All the other residents look fine and all parameters normal although was due a water change anyways, just one of those things.

Generally Sunnyside is going as well as I expected, probably better than when I compare it to the same point as in Fireplaces life cycle. Not perfect, getting some minor algae issues and possibly some of the plants aren't quite as healthy as I would like (although again comparing to Fireplace at the same point around the same).

The good news is the 3 male Dwarfs seem to have settled in together and I've not seen any further signs of bullying from Mr Grumpy, guess they have just enough territory each now (but will keep an eye out) :)

The Bleeding hearts are growing well and the RummyNoses have coloured up nicely.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5443 times
Been liked: 2668 times

Sorry for your loss Mikey :(
Glad to hear the rest are ok and things have settled though :)
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5048 times
Been liked: 3422 times

Sorry for your loss. :(
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4244 times
Been liked: 3908 times

Sorry to hear you've lost the Sterbais, that's real shame. :[
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
mikeyw64
Posting Legend

I'm not I have lost them or if theyre just hiding