Recovering a struggling tank

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
Mfisher
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Hi all,

I’m after some help. For the last few months, I feel like I’ve been fighting a constant battle in keeping my tank clean - lots of algae, waste on the floor, plants dying, poorly fish (not had any deaths as I manage to save them in time).

I haven’t had any new additions to the tank for at least 6 months, and it’s at about 75% capacity. I do weekly water changes, cleans etc. but it’s starting to become a mammoth task - and means if I miss a clean cycle due to being unwell, it turns into a nightmare.

I’ve ordered 5 new snails, so hopefully they’ll help with the algae. I’ve also ordered some new filter media. Any other suggestions? I’ve attached my water readings.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5051 times
Been liked: 3423 times

Lights down to a max of 8 hours per day, cleaning as necessary.
What fish do you have? It looks relatively soft water, so some plants (like vallis for example) won't like it much.
Mfisher

I have cut the lights down to 8 hours a few days ago, so I’m hoping that will help!

The fish: Gold barbs, glow light danios, silver hatchets, a red lizard whiptail and a gold Congo frog.
James
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times

I've had a similar problem with mine. Lost everything apart from 1 Cory, it's now stabilised and algae isn't anything ore than "normal". It's taken quite a while though, must be over a year since everything was lost.

I'm hoping to set up a quarantine tank shortly and get some more cories in to keep my remaining one company, but will have to seek advice as to how to go about that with him being on his own for so long. Didn't want to add more fish when it was chaos in case they died too.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5051 times
Been liked: 3423 times

Have you also made sure that there's not a lot of "gunk" in the filter?
If the flow isn't great through the media it can cause high nitrates which won't help against algae.
Mfisher

Yeah, I’ve checked gunk in the filter. I’ve just done a clean, adjusted where the filter sits and added the new filter media as mentioned previously. Here’s to hoping it makes a difference 🙂
Mfisher

Things are looking a lot better this week! I’ve also had some new plants arrive courtesy of some generous members here (@Vale!, @Ric, @mikeyw64 and the tank is looking lush!

The snails though: I should have looked at the size before buying, they’re tiny 😅.
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

Remember that we like pics on this forum :D
Andys temperate tank
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Has liked: 4378 times
Been liked: 2896 times

Ric wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 17:47 pm Remember that we like pics on this forum :D
I'm surprised you didn't put a note in the box. ::thumb::
64l kitchen tank: 16 golden tetra.
5ft 425L: 3 blue angel fish, 30 rummie nose tetra, 20 black neon tetra, 1 longfin bristlenose plec, 2 corydoras sterbai, 24 corydoras duplicareas,2 SAE.
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

Andys temperate tank wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 17:49 pm
Ric wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 17:47 pm Remember that we like pics on this forum :D
I'm surprised you didn't put a note in the box. ::thumb::
:D I did think about it! Then decided to put in a reminder on the forum instead. :D