Can anyone i.d him please

Tycho

Re: Catfish

Post by Tycho »

Looks like a bronze corydora

black ghost

Post by black ghost »

Brochis multiradiatus. The pointed snout is a giveaway, and the dorsal fin, which has more rays than a Corydoras.

PaulVerrall

Post by PaulVerrall »

black ghost wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 19:14 pm
Brochis multiradiatus. The pointed snout is a giveaway, and the dorsal fin, which has more rays than a Corydoras.
Thanks that's him. A "Hognose" apparently he's called informally

Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Post by Gingerlove05 »

black ghost wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 19:14 pm
I immediately thought brochis, cant be more accurate than that though ROFL
I thought it was too big and pointy for a cory :D

Martinspuddle
Posting Freak

Post by Martinspuddle »

Seeing the picture I immediately thought of Brochis splendens, but no the snout too long so it's got to be Brochis multiradiatus I thought until I looked it up to check on Seriously fish website today. Now it seems Brochis catfish have been recategorized as Corydoras. Years ago these fish were said to be not Corydoras family and were a different subspecies.

So now it seems that has been changed and this fish is officially called Corydoras multiradiatus.

I give up! :cry:
Free N class Endlers: Link here
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have come to the conclusion over the years that all fish have a serious drink problem! :grin:

black ghost

Post by black ghost »

It’s not certain yet whether they’re Brochis or Corydoras. Some authorities have moved them to Corydoras and others haven’t. Take your pick. B. multiradiatus is still a Brochis according to most of them.
Brochis were never subspecies of Corydoras. It was a genus in its own right. And they’ve always been in the same family as Corydoras. Families don’t change.

black ghost

Post by black ghost »

Checked with Eschmeyer’s Catalogue of Fishes, the official record of fish taxonomy, and Brochis is, for now, a synonym of Corydoras.
Corydoras itself is undergoing work and will no doubt be split at some point into at least 9 genera (the 9 lineages), so much more upheaval in the pipeline... eventually.

Martinspuddle
Posting Freak

Post by Martinspuddle »

black ghost wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 22:12 pm
Brochis were never subspecies of Corydoras. It was a genus in its own right. And they’ve always been in the same family as Corydoras. Families don’t change.
I put subspecies what I should have said was subfamily.

Brochis will be the name I'll always use for them and I doubt if I would ever change.
Free N class Endlers: Link here
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have come to the conclusion over the years that all fish have a serious drink problem! :grin: