Maybe a stupid question....

Angel's, Discus, Oscars, Rams, Malawi etc.
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 869 times
Been liked: 1273 times

I have a yellow lab cichlid in with a dolphin moorii (I know he needs to be in a group, soon as lockdown is over I'm setting up a new tank) and in with what I thought was a king Kong Parrot but I'm now told it's a rose queen parrot.

The yellow lab is clearly holding eggs in its mouth, I was told if the eggs are unfertilised she would just eat them after a couple of days. Well it's been 7 now and still going strong.

My stupid question is... They couldn't possibly be fertilised by the dolphin could they?
I've heard that parrots are infertile so it could only be him.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5063 times
Been liked: 3426 times

As far as I know, anything is possible with cichlids, that's how they got the blood parrots.......
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

I'm going to have a 7ft Malawi tank once this lockdown is over. May use this as a practice run if they really do hatch into fry
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

Most Parrot cichlids are infertile, but not all. Much more likely than the dolphin...
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

black ghost wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:50 am Most Parrot cichlids are infertile, but not all. Much more likely than the dolphin...
So you think it could be a parrot, lab cross?
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

If they’re fertilised then probably yes. I doubt Cyrtocara and Labidochromis can hybridise narurally. I also don’t know if a lab would lay and take up eggs all on her own...
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

black ghost wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:26 am If they’re fertilised then probably yes. I doubt Cyrtocara and Labidochromis can hybridise narurally. I also don’t know if a lab would lay and take up eggs all on her own...
Cool thanks, would definitely be a better looking fish I guess, a parrot crossed with a lab. With a new big tank coming, would lower the price of stocking it if I had some homegrown!
She's been holding the eggs for around 10-12 days now we think, when we get a peek in her mouth the eggs are a pink/orange colour the same as my parrot, not sure whether that's coincidence or not?