Any hope for this Bolivian?

Angel's, Discus, Oscars, Rams, Malawi etc.
Sixo
Posting Legend
Has liked: 530 times
Been liked: 310 times

hi all,

I got this Bolivian Ram for free from my friend's store as I felt sorry for it, it has a big chunk out of its side, do you think this is saveable? Will get some melafix asap tomorrow if people think it's worth trying. Only threw all my meds out the other week cos they had expired!
Sixo
Posting Legend

I know it looks super
nasty didn't realise the extent of it until I seen it under the lights if my own tank!
Vale!
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 1302 times

That must have stung a bit!

Given conditions appropriate to the species, fish are very much better at healing than (say) we are. The wound doesn't look infected so I'd say that your fish has a very good chance of a full recovery - though with a piece of its operculum going AWOL, its breathing may not be perfectly efficient until then.

Some leaves (Indian Almond or oak, for example) and/or a few alder cones would help by adding their antiseptic properties to the water. Garlic, too (piece of a clove, crush very well, leave for ten minutes, add to tank). Ensure good oxygenation of water.

I'm not particularly a fan of Melafix, so I don't feel qualified to comment on it!
Sixo
Posting Legend

I have leaves & cones will throw some in. I have a garlic crusher I take it we're only talking about a tiny amount? Take it Garlic can just be left in the tank?

I feed with fischience flakes which have garlic as an ingredient too.

I know it looks painful! There was an angelfish in the same tank in the store possibly been the culprit.
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3410 times

That poor bolivian ram, well done on rescuing it from your friend's store.

Quote from API
www.apifishcare.com wrote:API® Melafix is an all-natural antibacterial treatment that works to treat infections in fish. Common bacterial infections are open wounds and abrasions, tail rot, eye cloud, and mouth fungus. API Melafix also promotes regrowth of damaged fins and tissue.
Melafix is a popular treatment and should help with the wound.

All the best
Sixo
Posting Legend

Thanks hopefully he pulls through, have a real soft spot for Bolivians they're possibly my favorite.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5055 times
Been liked: 3424 times

Fingers crossed for him, or her?
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

Good luck!
Vale!
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Super Mod - TOTM Winner

Sixo wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 20:22 pm ... I have a garlic crusher I take it we're only talking about a tiny amount? Take it Garlic can just be left in the tank
Yes - a fragment of a small clove. A garlic crusher might be too cumbersome and not efficient enough in context. I tend to put it on a plate, slice it as finely as I can with a knife and then crush well with the flat of the knife. The 'leave for ten minutes' thing is important - otherwise it won't work as well as it might otherwise. The whole lot goes in the tank - juice and all - so the best strategy mighty be to wash the plate (or whatever) in the tank! And, yes - the garlic can be left in the tank if you want.

What I don't know is how often you may have to repeat the exercise to ensure its effectiveness over a period of time. I'll see if I can rootle out the email address of the garlic researcher (!) with whom I had a conversation a couple of years ago. If not I'm sure I could find it again - there can't be many university labs (it was in North Carolina, I think) who could put up with the smell!
Vale!
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Super Mod - TOTM Winner

I've found the text that I wrote in Another Place in January 2017 following the conversation referenced above (it was Oregon University!). Here it is in full ; hope it helps …

"Just popping back to let you know that I've not forgotten this! I was prompted because, in response to some enquiries that I'd been sending out re longevity of garlic in water, the Micronutrient Information Center at Oregon State University very kindly sent a 2008 article overnight which addresses exactly this (amongst other things). The article was authored by Hiroyuki Fujisawa (and others) and it looks like they were trying to assess the stability of allicin in various extracts (water, ethanol etc.) in the context of perfume manufacture!! I haven't read it in detail yet - it'll demand a bit more concentration, not least because it's got loads of numbers and algebraic notation in it, but as an interim report ...

There was apparently a previous study (Lawson, 1995) which suggested that the half-life of allicin in water was of the order of 40 days. However the 'Fujisawa' paper I've just received says that the previous study's methods were unreliable. Instead they conducted their own. They differentiate between 'chemical' and 'biological' half-lives.

The 'chemical' half-life refers to the breakdown of allicin into various other compounds which may or may not be biologically active (it looks like some of them are). In a water extract they found that allicin has a chemical half-life of around 6.5 days.

The 'biological' half-life refers to its effectiveness in killing bacteria. They tested their water extract on both Staphylococcus aureus (gram positive) and Escherichia coli (gram negative). The biological half-life for S. aureus was around 10.5 days ; and for E. coli around four days.
"