Keyhole Aggression

Angel's, Discus, Oscars, Rams, Malawi etc.
Sixo
Posting Legend
Has liked: 530 times
Been liked: 310 times

Rehomed them today sad to do it cos they were the biggest fish in my tank & added a lot of character but they started the shimmying and getting territorial with the Corys. Started with 4 what I thought were males turns out I had 2 pairs which wasn't fair to keep them in my tank.

Think the only way I'd keep keyholes again is if I had a massive tank with room for a group should they pair off, otherwise maybe a single one in my current tank, which I know isn't ideal but from what I read they do fine on their own in the right setup.
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

So you've rehomed them before the fluke & worm treatment? :(
Sixo
Posting Legend

Guy breeds them, breeded last pair, told him they were having occasional flick he's gonna qt them.
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3409 times

Shame that you re-homed them, keyholes are one of the most peaceful cichlids around.
They only spawn on flat surfaces such as a rock, they are not cave spawners unless the cave happens to be on a flat surface.
What temperature was the tank water?

Stay safe & healthy everyone
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 12 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
Sixo
Posting Legend

Stephen wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:53 am Shame that you re-homed them, keyholes are one of the most peaceful cichlids around.
They only spawn on flat surfaces such as a rock, they are not cave spawners unless the cave happens to be on a flat surface.
When I originally had the 4 as youngsters they were awesome the way they all played around, then they started working out a pecking order, then after that one stayed in a coconut shell while the other guarded and aggressively went after everything in defence. Rehomed then then the remaining 2 started to shimmy & chase my corys away.

Had the temp at 25 at the time.

Think ultimately my tank was too small & populated to have a mixed group, but then you don't really find out what gender mix you have until they grow up.

Could maybe try and identify adult females in future.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5443 times
Been liked: 2668 times

Shame you had to rehome them, at least the guy who took them sounds like he knows what to do with them :)
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3409 times

Sixo wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:13 am
Stephen wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:53 am Shame that you re-homed them, keyholes are one of the most peaceful cichlids around.
Had the temp at 25 at the time.
24/25C was ideal for the keyholes.

Stay safe & healthy everyone
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 12 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)