Dwarf Gourami in a Community

Betta's, Gouramis etc
User avatar
Sixo
Senior Member
Posts: 315
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2019 14:46 pm
Has thanked: 56 times
Been thanked: 37 times

Dwarf Gourami in a Community

Post by Sixo »

Hi all,

Looking for people's experience with keeping dwarf gourami, in the past I've tried to keep what were probably 2 males, where one continually bullied the other. Removed the aggressor then the other turned to bullying my other fish!

My Honey Gourami are starting to get on a bit and I'm losing the odd one here & there. When they all go I may go back to the dwarves if I can work out a peaceful combination, is it one male/one female? One male/three females? All females? Or is it just a complete lottery?
Juwel Trigon 190 (upgraded 1000 eccoflow pump)

5 Gourami (4 Honey 1 Flame Dwarf)
15 Neon Tetras
7 Cherry Barbs
2 Keyhole Cichilids
4 Bolivian Rams
6 Albino Cory
1 Female BN Plec

User avatar
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Posts: 3553
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2018 20:21 pm
Has thanked: 574 times
Been thanked: 325 times

RE: Dwarf Gourami in a Community

Post by Gingerlove05 »

After Marcellus (my dwarf gourami), i would try them as a group 1m and a couple of females. Marcellus ended up on his own because he was an angry lil bugger and in the same experience kept chasing everyone. You might be ok in a 190l though as there is more room than i had.
I’d be weary keeping them with cichlids though as the cichlids have attitude and so do they. I havent read many happy stories of dwarfs/gourami and cichlids living harmoniously.
 😇Heaven doesn’t want me...
And Hell is afraid I’ll take over! 😈

User avatar
Sixo
Senior Member
Posts: 315
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2019 14:46 pm
Has thanked: 56 times
Been thanked: 37 times

RE: Dwarf Gourami in a Community

Post by Sixo »

Gingerlove05 wrote: After Marcellus (my dwarf gourami), i would try them as a group 1m and a couple of females. Marcellus ended up on his own because he was an angry lil bugger and in the same experience kept chasing everyone. You might be ok in a 190l though as there is more room than i had.
I’d be weary keeping them with cichlids though as the cichlids have attitude and so do they. I havent read many happy stories of dwarfs/gourami and cichlids living harmoniously.
Love the name Marcellus!
The keyholes seems very placid if anything I'd be more worried about the dwarf gourami having a pop at them.
Juwel Trigon 190 (upgraded 1000 eccoflow pump)

5 Gourami (4 Honey 1 Flame Dwarf)
15 Neon Tetras
7 Cherry Barbs
2 Keyhole Cichilids
4 Bolivian Rams
6 Albino Cory
1 Female BN Plec

User avatar
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Posts: 3553
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2018 20:21 pm
Has thanked: 574 times
Been thanked: 325 times

RE: Dwarf Gourami in a Community

Post by Gingerlove05 »

Keyholes are one of the more placid cichlids but i would keep an eye on them incase.
My OH named Marcellus (like she does most of the fish :D and i’m sure i’ve spelt it wrong lol) after Marcellus Wallace from Pulp Fiction :D
 😇Heaven doesn’t want me...
And Hell is afraid I’ll take over! 😈

User avatar
Sixo
Senior Member
Posts: 315
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2019 14:46 pm
Has thanked: 56 times
Been thanked: 37 times

RE: Dwarf Gourami in a Community

Post by Sixo »

Gingerlove05 wrote: Keyholes are one of the more placid cichlids but i would keep an eye on them incase.
My OH named Marcellus (like she does most of the fish :D and i’m sure i’ve spelt it wrong lol) after Marcellus Wallace from Pulp Fiction :D
I was gonna ask if that was from Pulp Fiction ?
Juwel Trigon 190 (upgraded 1000 eccoflow pump)

5 Gourami (4 Honey 1 Flame Dwarf)
15 Neon Tetras
7 Cherry Barbs
2 Keyhole Cichilids
4 Bolivian Rams
6 Albino Cory
1 Female BN Plec

User avatar
Sixo
Senior Member
Posts: 315
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2019 14:46 pm
Has thanked: 56 times
Been thanked: 37 times

RE: Dwarf Gourami in a Community

Post by Sixo »

My LFS has just got young females in stock, in another time that would have been ideal to give them a try while they were small. I do likey Honeys as well to be fair would just be nice to have something a little bigger up the top with more character.
Juwel Trigon 190 (upgraded 1000 eccoflow pump)

5 Gourami (4 Honey 1 Flame Dwarf)
15 Neon Tetras
7 Cherry Barbs
2 Keyhole Cichilids
4 Bolivian Rams
6 Albino Cory
1 Female BN Plec

User avatar
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Posts: 3553
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2018 20:21 pm
Has thanked: 574 times
Been thanked: 325 times

RE: Dwarf Gourami in a Community

Post by Gingerlove05 »

Loads of character in a dwarf, although i do love the placid calmness of the honeys.
 😇Heaven doesn’t want me...
And Hell is afraid I’ll take over! 😈

User avatar
DoubleDutch
Posting Freak
Posts: 924
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 14:13 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Dwarf Gourami in a Community

Post by DoubleDutch »

One of the biggest issues keeping dwarfs is that we in general keep them too warm.
These fish are temp-sensitive as it comes to mating : higher temps mean that hormons take over and they'll show the behaviour as such. Building a bubblenest, defending, show agression etc etc..... Even without females (frustration will set in)

Temps we keep our fish in seem to become higher and higher (some keep their community at 27 - 30 degrees nowadays) this is killing for DG's and a drama for fish kept with them.



Sent from the other side of the North Sea
Last edited by DoubleDutch on Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Send from the Low lands.

User avatar
Sixo
Senior Member
Posts: 315
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2019 14:46 pm
Has thanked: 56 times
Been thanked: 37 times

RE: Dwarf Gourami in a Community

Post by Sixo »

DoubleDutch wrote: One of the biggest issues keeping dwarfs is that we in general keep them too warm.
These fish are temp-sensitive as it comes to mating : higher temps mean that hormons take over and they'll show the behaviour as such. Building a bubblenest, defending, show agression etc etc..... Even without females (frustration will set in)

Temps we keep our fish in seem to become higher and higher (some keep their community at 27 - 30 degrees nowadays) this is killing for DG's and a drama for fish kept with them.



Sent from the other side of the North Sea

Yeah that's awfully warm.
Juwel Trigon 190 (upgraded 1000 eccoflow pump)

5 Gourami (4 Honey 1 Flame Dwarf)
15 Neon Tetras
7 Cherry Barbs
2 Keyhole Cichilids
4 Bolivian Rams
6 Albino Cory
1 Female BN Plec

User avatar
Sixo
Senior Member
Posts: 315
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2019 14:46 pm
Has thanked: 56 times
Been thanked: 37 times

RE: Dwarf Gourami in a Community

Post by Sixo »

The dwarves are a bot more of a gamble that's for sure
Juwel Trigon 190 (upgraded 1000 eccoflow pump)

5 Gourami (4 Honey 1 Flame Dwarf)
15 Neon Tetras
7 Cherry Barbs
2 Keyhole Cichilids
4 Bolivian Rams
6 Albino Cory
1 Female BN Plec

Post Reply