Female Betta

Betta's, Gouramis etc
Post Reply
TechnoFreek
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:37 am

Female Betta

Post by TechnoFreek »

Hi all,

Any suggestions what I can do with an extremely aggressive female betta in a community tank. I was hoping to change the tank from being a community to a sorority as the last few fish naturally died off but this female is insanely aggressive and eating tankmates at a rate of a few a week. She will be on her own in no time but she has put me off the sorority idea as I wouldn't trust her with any fish.

I've tried reaching out to my local fish shop as well as some online communities here in Ireland but no takers.

Thoughts on next steps please.

User avatar
fr499y
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 3166
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2018 16:04 pm
Location: West Midlands
Has thanked: 187 times
Been thanked: 294 times

RE: Female Betta

Post by fr499y »

what are you putting in with it? Are you sure its a female and not a short fin male? ( Not assuming you don't know the difference, just you never know with LFS's ) She might calm down if stocked with a few more females :)

TechnoFreek
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:37 am

RE: Female Betta

Post by TechnoFreek »

fr499y wrote: what are you putting in with it? Are you sure its a female and not a short fin male? ( Not assuming you don't know the difference, just you never know with LFS's ) She might calm down if stocked with a few more females :)
Sterbai Cory and some neon tetras. 

Definitely a female. Egg tube visible.

User avatar
fr499y
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 3166
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2018 16:04 pm
Location: West Midlands
Has thanked: 187 times
Been thanked: 294 times

RE: Female Betta

Post by fr499y »

Can you give us some details on tank size, is it planted? whats your local water details etc

TechnoFreek
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:37 am

RE: Female Betta

Post by TechnoFreek »

fr499y wrote: Can you give us some details on tank size, is it planted? whats your local water details etc
2 feet long, planted. water is soft

User avatar
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 4939
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2018 17:02 pm
Location: S. Derbyshire
Has thanked: 471 times
Been thanked: 399 times

RE: Female Betta

Post by plankton »

The problem you have now is that she's got her territory.
It would be easier to add 4+ more in new surroundings.
You could always take her out, move things about and then put her in just after the newbies.....
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian

All my posts are from a desktop.
Mobiles are way too complicated for me, although I do have one now. ;)

TechnoFreek
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:37 am

RE: Female Betta

Post by TechnoFreek »

plankton wrote: The problem you have now is that she's got her territory.
It would be easier to add 4+ more in new surroundings.
You could always take her out, move things about and then put her in just after the newbies.....
I don't think it would take her too long to re establish her territory. She's like a terminator!

User avatar
Frogtastic
Junior Member
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:03 am
Location: Redhill, Surrey
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 41 times

Re: Female Betta

Post by Frogtastic »

Faced with the same problem myself. I have had to keep her in a tank alone. Oddly, she is an awesome breeder.

Post Reply