Marbled or Silver Hatchet Fish

Tetras, Hatchetfish, Pencilfish, Other Characin Fish (Silver Dollar, Headstander, Leporinus)
Mfisher
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

I’ve finally decided on my last addition to my tank - hatchets. Saw some in a video online and they look incredible, plus they’re top swimmers which will go well in what I currently have.

Is there a behavioural difference in marbel and silver? 

What’s a good group size?
Vale!
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 1302 times

Hatchets are fascinating creatures, for sure. I think I had Silver Hatchets very early on in my fishkeeping 'career' but even if I could remember details of their behaviour it wouldn't have been entirely natural, because I think I only had one or two.

Later I had a squadron (there's no other word for it!) of Marbled Hatchets in a tank that had linear flow, end-to-end. They formed up in a sort of triangular formation facing the current. Every so often the 'lead' one would drop to the back and another would take its place at the apex of the triangle.  The formation only broke up at feeding-time (they absolutely love fruit flies, btw!) when competition was fierce!  I never saw any real aggression between individuals, though.

I think (the usual!) half-dozen would be a minimum number ; if you or your tank could stretch to more it'd be better.
Mfisher

Vale! wrote: Hatchets are fascinating creatures, for sure. I think I had Silver Hatchets very early on in my fishkeeping 'career' but even if I could remember details of their behaviour it wouldn't have been entirely natural, because I think I only had one or two.

Later I had a squadron (there's no other word for it!) of Marbled Hatchets in a tank that had linear flow, end-to-end. They formed up in a sort of triangular formation facing the current. Every so often the 'lead' one would drop to the back and another would take its place at the apex of the triangle.  The formation only broke up at feeding-time (they absolutely love fruit flies, btw!) when competition was fierce!  I never saw any real aggression between individuals, though.

I think (the usual!) half-dozen would be a minimum number ; if you or your tank could stretch to more it'd be better.
Thank you, this is the answer I was looking for! They sound great, you've helped me make my mind up (and I'll be going for the standard 6).
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5051 times
Been liked: 3423 times

Silvers are a bit hardier than marbled, but quite a lot bigger.
I've had both and the silvers certainly survived longer in my tank.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Mfisher

Thanks :) . I'm pretty much sold on Silver, as they'll be a good colour contrast in my tank and because they're hardier.