Bullying Platys

Viviparous or Live bearing fish - Mollies, Platties, Guppies
Gill
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 13 times

I have 6 male Platy. They have all been together since I started my tank up about 5 months ago. 
Two were always smaller than the others, and they’re left alone, but one of the slightly larger ones thinks he’s king of the tank and chases the others about.
Up until now he’s taken turns in picking on the others, but currently he’s bullying one of the others that has taken to hiding away for most of the day in the plants and daren’t come out other than quickly at feeding time. Is this inevitable, I have no other tank to move him too.
65L

5 Glowlight Tetra
7 Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish
2 Amano Shrimps
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

Male platys are right little sods in a male-only group. They will pick on one at a time, bully him until he dies from stress, then pick on the next one. The chasing around can be relentless.

Only way I would keep platys now is (a) in a pair, (b) females only or (c) large mixed-sex group. Of course, there is always the issue of fry to consider, which is a different kind of problem.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5424 times
Been liked: 2667 times

My males we’re ok together, they would occasionally have a bit of a go at each other but for the most part they were fine. Although i did have Jesse, a half platy half swordtail cross who really was a big jesse (and much bigger than the rest of them).
The only other thing i notice is tank size, my males were in 100l which gives them a little more room so they’re less in each others face.
You could also try rearranging decor to break up lines of sight.
One question what temp are you running at? As warmer temps induce spawning behaviour which can also cause males to be a bit more aggressive to each other and females. I keep mine around 23/24C (only because of the apistos) otherwise 22/23C would be a good temp for them all :)
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

Perhaps it also makes a difference whether they are a males offspring, slowly growing up and maturing in a tank together. My experience was based on getting a group of males together from various sources.

The problems I had were 8 males in a 240ltr tank - 3 of them died from the stress of being chased; the others I rehomed to someone with a mixed sex group in a large tank.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5424 times
Been liked: 2667 times

Interesting. Could be that they had grown up since they were tiny fry together. Again individual personalities :)
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
Gill

Probably down to personality I think then. When I got them, all at the same time, four were in separate tanks as they are different colourings, the bully and victim are almost the same colouring and were in together.
Over time the bully has had a go at two of the others, but only very briefly and now doesn’t bother them,  but he’s since moved on to this particular fish in the last week. I’ve noticed too that he has grown just a small amount bigger than all the others. I suppose only time will tell...
65L

5 Glowlight Tetra
7 Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish
2 Amano Shrimps
Annie
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 151 times

Aww sad to see bullying :( makes you feel so helpless...Are you at full stock levels, could you add two new ones ?
Fingers crossed all settles soon. ????
Bikini Bottom - 168l Bronze, Peppered & Albino Cory, Black Widows, Cherry & Green Tiger Barb, Amanos The Kremlin - 58l  Bronze Corys
QT - 15l
Bronze Cory Fry
Gill

Thanks Annie, I hadn’t thought of that, it would be a way of changing the dynamics.
Be had a look at AqAdvisor and if I added 2 more Platy I would be at 94%, what do you think? Too much?
65L

5 Glowlight Tetra
7 Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish
2 Amano Shrimps
Annie
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 151 times

Umm yes a little high, do you have a quarantine tank you could use, put all the Platys in there with the extra two ?
Bikini Bottom - 168l Bronze, Peppered & Albino Cory, Black Widows, Cherry & Green Tiger Barb, Amanos The Kremlin - 58l  Bronze Corys
QT - 15l
Bronze Cory Fry