More Guppy questions :)

Viviparous or Live bearing fish - Mollies, Platties, Guppies
Speedfox
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 7 times

Martinspuddle wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:58 am
Martinspuddle wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 17:15 pm Might be a bacterial infection, you just got Guppies in your aquarium?
The reason I asked was because if you only have Guppies a little aquarium salt will help. Contrary to popular belief, livebearers such as Guppies and livebearers do not need salt to thrive in an aquarium but it can be useful for keeping infections at bay. I use to find even females that had a heavy birth, a small dose of salt would help them recover quicker and in turn avoid any later infections.
What brand of salt do you use? How much do you use?

My guppy started to eat again but still "droopy" and clamped fin.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5033 times
Been liked: 3395 times

Aquarium salt is best.
Make sure it's dissolved before you put it in otherwise it can "burn" the fish. ;)
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4220 times
Been liked: 3889 times

Speedfox wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:18 am What brand of salt do you use? How much do you use?

Just follow the instructions.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Speedfox

Hello all,

My guppy is still alive, she started eating again but now she has stopped again? :huh:

She now has a pink something sticking out from her anus? Any idea what this is? A couple of her fry died with that last year. As far as I can tell it doesn't look like Camallanus worm infection.

Also she is has scoliosis, when looking from above into the tank she is bent to one side. She was not like this before.

Thanks all
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod

It looks like a prolapse to me.
Pop some Melafix in to prevent infection.
It will either sort itself or it won't. There's nothing you can do. Females can suffer (and I've had males who are greedy suffer as well) because of the amount of fry they drop.
Martinspuddle
Has liked: 4220 times
Been liked: 3889 times

You've got to remember it must be a hell of strain on a female guppy little body keep passing all those young every 30-40 days, think you'd prolapse once in a while too!

As @plankton recommends, treat with some Melafix.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Speedfox

Martinspuddle wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:23 am You've got to remember it must be a hell of strain on a female guppy little body keep passing all those young every 30-40 days, think you'd prolapse once in a while too!

As @plankton recommends, treat with some Melafix.
She has only had fry once in her life around 7-8 months ago. She is in an all female tank now because I didn't want to get overrun with fry again. 2-3 of her fry got it and died last year but had never had fry themselves :s

Any other causes? Can they get that if they eat too much?

Thank you for the replies everyone.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod

Yes, overeating is another cause.