Unidentified fish disease!!!

rebeccakatie1131

hi everyone!! I need advice asap for my fish please as i dont have fish illness experience and they mean the world to me. I had 10 molly fish they are 1yr and 2months old (they were born in my tank) and last week they started to act strange... not interested in food as much just barely nibbling, hiding out in small groups in the bottom of the tank and just acting very skittish and not like themselves. We lost 2 mollies in one week.... i dont have any water testing kits (waiting for one to arrive in post currently) but took a sample of my water to local pet shop and they confirmed my water was good quality and suggested to add some aquarium salt for the mollies (which i purchased and have added a couple of times) So now this week, last night got home and one of my babies was struggling to swim he was showing severe signs of swimbladder (swimming vertically but actually flipping in circles slowly) at some points he was just lying on his back and it was pretty clear he was dying... there was another molly laying next to him in the corner of the tank... almost as family support it was heartbreaking. i tried to take him out to a seperate tank but he got extremely stressed and so did my other fish so i decided to leave him. This morning i checked them straight away and was shocked to see he was still alive struggling to breathe and just letting the current throw him around and even more shocked to see that the fish that had been supporting him was actually dead!!!!! The dead fish looked normal without any marks or injury or sign of disease (i had a look when i took him out of the tank) however the fish that was barely alive and struggling His tail had a white fluffy substance on it which was there last night a little bit greyish though, and today his tail was the half size of what it normally is so perhaps it could be rot fin? Around 4pm today this fish that was struggling died. I have 6 mollies in my tank and one common pleco named roger, i need advice to stop this disease from spreading which i believe it has already started, 3 of my molly fish have tiny white dots on them, just one dot in different places and i dont even know how to begin to research and treat this as alot of diseases are being suggested to me. I have attatched photos of the fish that died today (he is alive in these photos although he does not look it) and my fish with the small white spots on them if you look closely. Today i will do a 60% water change and change the substrate back to one they had before which is a natural aquarium soil (rogers favourite) . I really dont know what im supposed to do in a situation like this so please give as much advice as possible! Thanks
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5443 times
Been liked: 2668 times

Hello and welcome :)
Sorry for your losses and sorry your having issues :(
Hopefully we can help, unfortunately the pics haven’t attached so its hard to say what it could be.
What is your water hardness? (Not the ph)
you can normally find this out on your water supplier website. Mollies need hard water although there are some species that need brackish or salt water. I wouldnt advise the salt as Roger wouldn’t appreciate it long term.
how big is the tank? And what filtration do you have? As common plecs can get pretty big and some species of molly can also grow quite big and need a good amount of room and they can all be a bit messy.
Also why did you change the substrate?
Sorry for all the questions just trying to get a bigger picture :)
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
rebeccakatie1131

Thanks for writing back so fast! I will try again to attatch the photos but for some reason it was being difficult before. The tap water in our area is almost undrinkable it is very metallic tasting and for that reason we buy bottled water recommended by local fish shop and add bio boost to make it suitable. I dont drink from the tap myself but the guy in the shop didnt mention hard water would be good for the fish? The salt is only short term as a stress reliever i dont plan to put it back in again after today. My tank is 93L and we have an internal filter with carbon which is currently removed, a blue sponge and k1 media, our pump is a centrifugal pump which runs at 1000/lh. They have plenty of room currently but we are looking to upsize again as roger is growing fast and we dont want to leave it till last minute where he is feeling cramped. Changing the substrate wasn’t relevant to their sickness i just wanted to mention it incase someone advised against it to be honest. Sorry for the non-knowledgeable fish terms like i said im new to this, we actually had a 20L tank with just 2 molly fish we believed to be female and they bred and we had 13 babies! We upgraded to this tank as soon as we could but they literally just appeared from the shelter one day & now they are my big babies and i want to care for them as best as possible! Let me know if pics dont show again and perhaps i can pm you them?thanks wrote: Hello and welcome :)
Hopefully we can help, unfortunately the pics haven’t attached so its hard to say what it could be.
you can normally find this out on your water supplier website. Mollies need hard water although there are some species that need brackish or salt water. I wouldnt advise the salt as Roger wouldn’t appreciate it long term.
how big is the tank? And what filtration do you have? As common plecs can get pretty big and some species of  molly can also grow quite big and need a good amount of room and they can all be a bit messy.
rebeccakatie1131

Gingerlove05 wrote: Hello and welcome :)
how big is the tank? And what filtration do you have? As common plecs can get pretty big and some species of  molly can also grow quite big and need a good amount of room and they can all be a bit messy.
rebeccakatie1131

[attachment=1946][attachment=1945][attachment=1944]
[attachment=1943 wrote:rebeccakatie1131 pid='14887' dateline='1536793002']
Gingerlove05 wrote: Hello and welcome :)
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5048 times
Been liked: 3422 times

Sorry for your losses.
What water are you using and can you tell what the hardness of it is?
Bottled water isn't always reliable, and any good conditioner will remove the heavy metals and chlorination from the tapwater.
The white spot in the first pic looks like an internal parasite of some kind causing it.
I would treat with something like Waterlife's Myxazin and see how it reacts.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
rebeccakatie1131

Im not actually sure where to track down the water hardness so i will attatch a photo of the bottle. I ordered melafix bacterial infection medicine online and it will arrive tomorrow im hoping it will work... could internal parasites cause the tail to turn that white cotton wool texture? I have no idea! Thanks in advance wrote: Sorry for your losses.
Bottled water isn't always reliable, and any good conditioner will remove the heavy metals and chlorination from the tapwater.
The white spot in the first pic looks like an internal parasite of some kind causing it.
rebeccakatie1131

Ive just had a google at the water hardness in our area and its showing as hard, have attatched pic! Thanks wrote: Sorry for your losses.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5048 times
Been liked: 3422 times

Fungus is usually a secondary problem following damage.
Melafix won't cure anything, but may help to contain the problem.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Suelo

Hello, & welcome to the forum.

Have you been using only bottled water in the tank? If so, I'm sorry to say, I wonder if that might be the problem.

Looking at the label of your water bottle, it is listing calcium as 10 ppm. In fishkeeping, we usually talking in terms of General or Germany degrees of hardness (dGH), and 10ppm calcium converts to approximately 0.56 dGH. Your fish really need hard water - something in excess of 10dGH at least. I understand that hardwater fish kept in soft water can be especially prone to fungus and fin rot and other osmotic problems, so I wonder if that is at least part of the problem here? It doesn't seem very good advice from the fish store  :(

Wait and see what others think, but I'm wondering whether your fish would benefit from being kept in your tap water instead, although the changeover would need to be very gradual. Do you have any other fish in the tank?