Whisker Shrimp

Jen1981
Posting Legend
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 90 times

I didn’t’ Think ghost shrimp had all the black veins, ghost shrimp to me are very transparent but these shrimp seem to be quite large with a lot of black veins, I’ll get another picture later tonight if I can
Jen1981
Posting Legend

Slightly better picture, they seem to have 2 sets of pincers/claws
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5033 times
Been liked: 3395 times

Ghosts aren't the same as Amano, which get called ghosts for no apparent reason other than they are a clearish body colour.
There are morphs of ghosts which is why I said it looks like there's some "tiger" genes...... ;)
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Benville
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 87 times

A Whisker Shrimp can be more aggressive than Ghost Shrimp. They will often pick on Ghost Shrimp if kept together in the same tank. This is especially true if the tank is overcrowded. Whisker Shrimp can also bully other freshwater shrimp, but seem to be good tank mates with freshwater snails. Nerite Snails, Mystery Snails, Gold Inca Snails, Ivory Snails, Ramshorn Snails, Rabbit Snails and Japanese Trapdoor Snails good. Whisker Shrimp can be aggressive with other small species of shrimp and small fish. But they are no match for roughens like Cichlids or Goldfish.

According to https://www.aquariumcarebasics.com/freshwater-shrimp/ anyway

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Fluval Roma 240L - Tropical Community
Fluval Roma 90L - Daves Place Yo (Cherax Quadricarinatus)
18L Interpet - Cherry Shrimp Breeding Project
Jen1981
Posting Legend

I’ll check out that link, thank you.
Thankfully they don’t appear to have grown any larger, I did lose 1. Just like my blue velvet shrimp that died, it was a milky white colour when I found it, must be something in my water or more likely something that I’m doing but the other 3 are thriving.
I had put another post somewhere here, the only fish I’ve seen them back away from is the female Apistogramma, the biggest shrimp, the Male with the big claw, stole a food pellet off the Male apisto, no fear.
I’ve missed having shrimp so I’ll enjoy these guys until I can get the new betta tank sorted, get him better & hopefully get a couple of dwarf caridina shrimp again