Best snail for a tropical tank to eat small pest snails and algae? thank you
¬ Fluval Edge 57l
¬ 3 x guppies
¬ 3 x endler guppies
Tycho
Has liked: 361 times
Been liked: 156 times

Hi Scott

Unfortunately its not easy to deal with both issues... Assassin snail's are your best bet for dealing with the best snails but having them also means you can't have any other snails to help with the algae.

So if you have lots of snails get the assassins in but if its only a couple then just pick them out... whatever you do don't squash them.
Cheltgirl
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 14 times

Yes assassins will help with a snail problem but algae is best controlled by changing something in your tank that is causing the algae. Usually excess lighting or nutrients. Look at those first :)
Scott1629
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 2 times

Tycho wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 22:17 pm Hi Scott

Unfortunately its not easy to deal with both issues... Assassin snail's are your best bet for dealing with the best snails but having them also means you can't have any other snails to help with the algae.

So if you have lots of snails get the assassins in but if its only a couple then just pick them out... whatever you do don't squash them.
ohhh no, why do I not squash them? :s
Baddams
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 91 times

They can release a load of eggs as they squish!
I've got Assassins for the pest snails and Otos & Amano Shrimp for the algae.
As said though, it's best to cut out the things that are causing algae, rather than getting something to eat it
Scott1629

Baddams wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 17:40 pm They can release a load of eggs as they squish!
I've got Assassins for the pest snails and Otos & Amano Shrimp for the algae.
As said though, it's best to cut out the things that are causing algae, rather than getting something to eat it
Algae isn't really an issue I just wanted something that did both anyway, I have reduced my light just as a precaution. Oh well I better stop squashing them then! Thank you! :D
Baddams
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 91 times

Gotcha. Just chuck a couple of Assassins in there. They'll keep the pests in check & graze on any uneaten food.
They're slow breeders too, so you won't be swapping getting overrun by one snail for another.
Scott1629

Baddams wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 17:55 pm Gotcha. Just chuck a couple of Assassins in there. They'll keep the pests in check & graze on any uneaten food.
They're slow breeders too, so you won't be swapping getting overrun by one snail for another.
Yes deffo going to get an assassin! thank you!