Pale Crystal Red Shrimp, problems?

jacksdad
Posting Legend
Has liked: 194 times
Been liked: 272 times

As above, I've just noticed a few of the smaller shrimp are missing most of their white colouration, maybe about 10 out of must be 100 now.
They are breeding well, the tiny babies are vivid as are the larger ones, just the few 'juveniles' that are pale ::eek::
I'm not seeing many moults either, I think they are soon eaten, but could there be a calcium deficiency ? I've not seen any poorly or dead shrimp, the water is perfect, still doing 10% water changes every week or so, depending on test and TDS results, and the pH has settled to around 6.5
Are there any supplements that you use? I do have a tub of powdered eggshell, but I've not added much, just a pinch every month.
I feed them Ocean Nutrition wafers, frozen bloodworm once every 10 days, nettle and now spinach leaves, and Bacter AE, plus there's always a Catappa leaf in the tank.
The palefaces are very lively, not showing any signs of problems, hopefully its nothing serious.... ::thumb::
Fluval 160, Boyu 300 'New Used Project 2' , Leddy 60l Shrimp tank
eBay stalker bargain hunter!
Stevieglasgow
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 249 times
Been liked: 127 times

It might just be that they are not as good a grade as the others, if so you may want to move them as they might start breeding and give you poorer grade of shrimp, I could be completely wrong thou I'm sure someone will be on soon to help.
Stevie
piker
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 192 times

If it's just a few and the waters not too warm it's just lower grades coming out.
As stevie said if you want to keep improving the colony remove any you dont like the look of.
Although they generally show full colour after a couple of moults I wait till they are around 1cm then remove them to my community tank.
Dont focus on nice patterns like I did at first,look for good solid colour and the nicer patterns/grades will come out with good solid colour.
One thing I have noticed is when I add the culls to my community tank at 26c the white generally gets worse.I think the higher temp makes it worse.
piker

These are a few culls in the community tank,one is almost completely red.

jacksdad
Posting Legend

Water is stable at 23 Deg C, I'm happy with the grades of all of them: I started with just 10 from Si, then soon 2 died, so all have come from just 8 :)
Most are this grade, and some have a little less red saddles, I'll try to take some close-ups
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 435 times
Been liked: 836 times

jacksdad wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 15:22 pm Water is stable at 23 Deg C, I'm happy with the grades of all of them: I started with just 10 from Si, then soon 2 died, so all have come from just 8 :)
Most are this grade, and some have a little less red saddles, I'll try to take some close-ups
No matter how many I get and how picky I am which adults I keep, from every batch there's a few that pop out with not quite as strong colours. Like Piker, my weaker ones get moved to the big tank. I'm trying to improve the white solidity as I go. Same as Piker's findings the reds seem to get more intense in the hotter temps and the whites get even more washed out. I'm now even picking specifically red ones to go in there as they seem to be breeding in there too.
piker

I started with ten too,lost a few then there everywhere now🤣.
jacksdad
Posting Legend

I don't want to cull any of my babies! I've toiled to get the tank running so well, seems evil to start culling the red ones :(
Hopefully my lfs will buy them, they haven't even asked about what grades I've got, they are just for the average man in the street after all, who just wants to try shrimp.
Most are like this...apart from the see through ones
piker

Look good to me👍