Snail overpopulation!

Charchar38
Been liked: 8 times

Can someone please give me ideas what to do with my ridiculous snail population!!

I was going to take the majority out and put them in a large jar with some moss balls and food and just let them do their thing until I can find homes for them all?
mantis
Has liked: 691 times
Been liked: 252 times

What type of snails are they? I had a population of bladder snails going which is apparently are the worst for reproduction, so I started scooping them out for a few days and now they've gone! Kind of miss them now, had no algae issues when they were in there.
Triumph-Rat
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 174 times

Unfortunately population growth out-matches population requirement for most snails, so unless you want to set up another tank just for them then euthanasia is your best bet.
Everything I say and do are the result of multiple personalities. If it is offensive then it wasn't me!!
Charchar38
Been liked: 8 times

I've got bladder and 2 different types of ramshorns! Is having too many snails in your tanks a problem?
Triumph-Rat

No, they will reach a K/N number where K = Carrying Capacity and N= Number of Animals. If K is less than or equal to N then the population will continue to expand, if N is higher than K then the population would stabilise (in theory) unfortunately, a tank can withstand far more snails than fish and they can become a nuisance and then you have to find a way to deal with them.
Everything I say and do are the result of multiple personalities. If it is offensive then it wasn't me!!
mantis

Charchar38 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 18:36 pm I've got bladder and 2 different types of ramshorns! Is having too many snails in your tanks a problem?
Try feeding a bit less, I think snails balance themselves out if there's not enough food for them due to waste, that's what I read anyway.

Don't think you can have too many snails though unless you don't like the look of them. The only snails I've seen that look horrific are trumpet snails. Just don't like the thought of them all crawling out the substrate :D

Good video here on how to get rid of them, or at least cull the numbers a bit
Triumph-Rat

mantis wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 18:56 pm
Charchar38 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 18:36 pm I've got bladder and 2 different types of ramshorns! Is having too many snails in your tanks a problem?
Try feeding a bit less, I think snails balance themselves out if there's not enough food for them due to waste, that's what I read anyway.

Don't think you can have too many snails though unless you don't like the look of them. The only snails I've seen that look horrific are trumpet snails. Just don't like the thought of them all crawling out the substrate :D

Nah, just not keen on snails in my tank unless I have something that eats snails LOL
Feather_Borb
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 239 times

I would use this as the perfect excuse to start a freshwater puffer tank. Just size the puffer to the snails ;)
mantis

Triumph-Rat wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 19:11 pm
mantis wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 18:56 pm

Nah, just not keen on snails in my tank unless I have something that eats snails LOL
What about an Assassin snail? ;)
MasonJ19
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 100 times

I second the puffer tank idea. I had the same problem in 2 tanks. I originally added assassin snails to them both and they helped reduce to a manageable level. But I recently set up a figure 8 puffer tank and now I wish I had more pest snails! I'm taking like 6 small snails out a day to feed the puffers and even just after a week I'm noticing the difference on snail population. Puffers sure do love their snails.