Angelfish "experts" re sick Manacapuru

Alex34

Hello all. 

Two of my three Manacapuru Angels are sick and I cannot seem to correct it. Truthfully the upkeep of the aquarium has gone down in the last few months due to my father being ill and having to go back to the states etc, along with work being extremely busy.

Just to give a bit of background, the angels are in a community tank with Cupid cichlids, adolfoi and c121 cories, l397 and zebra plecos and a few rummynose. The tank is 4x2x2 with sand substrate, driftwood, river stones and a few live plants. The tank is no longer CO2 pressurised and hasn't been so for at least a year now. The manacapuru angels I've had from around May and were a large size when I bought them. They are about the size of a grown man's hand. I use remineralised RO water in my tank and no fertilisers. 

About three weeks ago I noticed one of the angels had white stringy poo and immediately dosed with eSHa 2000 and eSHa Exit. The fish then stopped eating and I haven't seen it eat since. The fish is still active and every now and then does a breeding display with the dominate male and once in a while is seen nipping at the other two angels so it is still active. It even approaches the food but won't eat it. I've also dosed with eSHa Gdex and eSHa Hexamita but haven't been able to rectify it. I lost my MTS snails and three cory in the process of treating for Hexamita and am afraid of treating for it again. 

Now one of the other angels has become ill and is not eating as much. I've tried bloodworm, frozen and live, and crushed garlic but nothing gets them interested enough to eat. One of them will eat a bit of the Fluval bug bites but that is it. The water parameters are fine and my Cupid Cichlids keep breeding so I assume the water is okay and this is worm/parasite based. No holes in the head that I can see but the one that has been sick the longest is starting to change shape a little with its facial features becoming more "beak" like. No visual signs of worms and no visual signs of deterioration. 

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3410 times

Hello and welcome

I have limited knowledge with angelfish but hopefully someone will come along and give some good advise soon.

Stephen
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5056 times
Been liked: 3424 times

Hello and welcome to the forum. :)
Can you post pics of the angels? Use the imgur button on the left. It can be quite slow, but does work.
What are you water parameters? What were the water parameters of where they came from? (I know it's been 4 months, but there may be delayed "ph shock" as the organs adjust in adult fish).
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Alex34

plankton wrote: Hello and welcome to the forum. :)
Can you post pics of the angels? Use the imgur button on the left. It can be quite slow, but does work.
What are you water parameters? What were the water parameters of where they came from? (I know it's been 4 months, but there may be delayed "ph shock" as the organs adjust in adult fish).
Hi Ian hope all is well, it's Alex from TFF. I posted this on TFF originally and Stephen emailed me to let me know everyone is on this forum now.

I'll take some pics in the morning when I'm home. The water parameters are 0 ammonia and nitrite, 20-40 nitrate however, the nitrate was up quite a bit over the last month or so around 100. PH is about 5.8 to 6 and GH is about 3-4. TDS is usually between 50 and 60.

Can't remember exactly what the parameters were at the fish shop but I believe st albans MA is usually 200-300 TDS for their soft water fish. If I were a betting man I would say their PH would be a little over 7.
Last edited by Alex34 on Wed Oct 16, 2019 20:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex34

Stephen wrote: Hello and welcome

I have limited knowledge with angelfish but hopefully someone will come along and give some good advise soon.

Stephen
Cheers Stephen. Thanks for letting me know about everyone switching forums.
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner

[quote=Alex34]
[quote=Stephen]
Hello and welcome

Stephen
[/quote]
Cheers Stephen. Thanks for letting me know about everyone switching forums.
[/quote]

Glad to help. Far more busier here. ;)
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner

St. Albans water is very hard at about 18dGH (degrees German) and an average pH of pH7.2
Alex34

Stephen wrote: St. Albans water is very hard at about 18dGH (degrees German) and an average pH of pH7.2
Yeah but they cut it with RO at MA. TDS is usually 400+ out of the tap and they use 50/50 so it's usually between 200-300 TDS. PH should stay the same at about 7.2 but GH will be less.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5056 times
Been liked: 3424 times

So, you use RO cut with tap as well, or remineralized?

Could it be internal, like worms?
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Alex34

plankton wrote: So, you use RO cut with tap as well, or remineralized?

Could it be internal, like worms?
I remineralise from 0-2 TDS RO which I produce myself. I use JBL Aquadur to remineralise.

Something is up with the tank and I cannot figure it out. I lost three of my C. Adolfoi when I raised the temps while treating for Hexamita and a few of them now have lost their barbels. 

The angels all seem to be ok physically, other than slightly less active for the two that have white stringy poo. If you were to look at them you wouldn't think they had any issues. The one that I haven't seen eat in weeks has changed shape slightly with what I call a more beak like face. My thoughts are some type of parasite or worms but I've never seen any worms protruding.

I'm trying to attach pictures but the "imgur" icon on the left does nothing and I've tried adding via the "Attachments" bar at the bottom but no luck. Is there a 'how to post pictures' thread on here?