Can dwarf gourami iridovirus infect pearl gourami?

Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

I have a pair of pearl gouramis, which when I first got them got on fine. As they grew and matured the male started some chasing of the female. Most of the day they just ignore each other but there are occasional bouts of chasing, when he gets quite bossy for a little while. She started looking a little battered where she had bumped into the glass or wedged herself in a corner but I was not too concerned.

Now I noticed she looks seriously damaged around the head and some patches on her body. Still eats fine and explores the tank. Her wounds look like sores and look like some internet pics of DGI virus, so I was wondering whether pearl gouramis can actually get this?

Will try to take some pics later to show her damage.

Tank - 200ltr
Temp - 24/25C
Hard Water - 15 GDH
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 10
pH - 8
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5055 times
Been liked: 3424 times

I believe it is transferable between gourami - do you have dwarfs?
Can you get pics of her?
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

No, no dwarf gouramis in the tank.

Lets see whether these pics help a little:

The first thing I noticed was a couple of small patches on her side, which was about the time the male started chasing her and she would dash around, wedge herself into the wood or between the thermometer and the glass in a corner of the tank. Treated with low dose of melafix to aid healing and then it seemed to remain stable. Not getting any worse but the patches did not really disappear, either. Recently noticed just how bad things have got with her but still can't figure out what it is. No growth on it so no fungus; parts look as if scales have been lost (perhaps from a bristlenose attack?). Even thought about hole-in-the-head or ammonia burns but that does not fit, either - doing 20% weekly water changes with new in-date dechlorinator.

Also, not so obvious but that she appears to have a small lump growing inside just at the base of her tail (circled area):

I can only see the lump when I look at her from above or when she is doing a turn.
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

So my question about the DG iridovirus came about because I saw woodster's post in anabantoids back in October http://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtop ... =18&t=1931 and the pics of the DG reminded me of my pearl.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5055 times
Been liked: 3424 times

IF it is, then the male is likely to have it as well I'm afraid.
I really hope it isn't, and that it is due to the male being boisterous and her hiding.
Keep your eye on it, if it gets worse I'd be inclined to euthanize. :(
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Thank you for your thoughts.

This has been my thinking, too: even though the male is not showing any signs just yet, if it is anything infectious he would, at least, carry it, too. As long as she continues to feed and explore the tank, I'll let her be. If it gets worse, then I will have to say good-bye.