Molly fry acting odd

Chazziiee
Has liked: 1 time

So I inherited a 10US gallon tank from the OH grandmother, it has 1 orange tipped shark, 7 neon tetras and 2 Holden nugget mollies ( 1 female 1 male)
All's good with the tank behaviour but the tank really needed a full on clean, the g'ma obviously could t do alot of water changes etc
Now I know before anyone says anything it's not the best move to take the fish out but the stones were black ( turned out after cleaning they were multicoloured and some white and salmon pink!) Do I moved them into a smaller area and put the heater in.
The female Molly was pregnant and my luck she decided to drop in the other area, which I didn't know till we were introducing them back in. 1 fry was there and that's all we got, unless the other fish are the rest while it was being cleaned.
Everything was fine at first with the fry, we had a small breeding isolation tank in the actual tank for incase she started dropping and it's been loving life. Until today.
It's been on the floor of the isolated part and it's like it's swimming hard with its tail and it's fins but not going anywhere. It won't move from the bottom of the box! It's only 2 weeks old so far so I know it's not big enough to be released yet but any ideas what's up with it??
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5424 times
Been liked: 2667 times

Hello and welcome :)
Sorry to hear about the trouble with the fry :( have you cleaned the hatchery out since they have been in there? And what have you been feeding them? At a young age they can only handle small/powdered foods.
Also when you cleaned how did you clean? Eg did you also clean the filter, and did you condition or dechlorinate any clean water you added?
I also found just dipping the hatchery (a couple of times a day) in the tank slightly helps with agitating the water and adding oxygen/fresh water.
Chazziiee

Yea I've cleaned it out, first thing I did and it seems to be doing a bit better 8 hours later!
I'll try that dripping when it's fed. I've been grinding up the food I give to the others, and it's eating fine. It was like it was struggling to swim!
When I cleaned it I did all the tests and nitrates were 0 pH was 7 all the rest are okay, even the orange tipped shark has decided to come out a bit more , when we got her she wouldn't move from the side like a catfish.
The fry just looks so lonely on its own!
Chazziiee

Do the baby died last night, it was hardly moving again last night, it looked like it had some sort of black colour inside it's right fin. Any ideas what it could be? I'm a novice when it comes to fish!
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sorry you lost them :(
Fry can be fragile when first born and for the first few weeks/month. Colour in the fins normally is just that, colour, some fry also have odd markings to help them camouflage into the surroundings.
Chazziiee

It definately wasn't there when it was born then it was getting darker just before it died. It's a golden yellow ( it was in a tank with only that type of Molly at the aquarium I bough it from) so it was a very odd mark.
Well in a couple if months I'm sure I'll get another chance! Just gutted as it was getting so big!
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Probably wont even be that long knowing mollies ;)