The Marine with No Name!! Nano Reef-ish

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs - For the marine keepers!
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5055 times
Been liked: 3423 times

You can't call either of the Nemo, as they both have full pectorals......and I can't remember what the female's name was..... ;)
Is it clowns that are all female except one, and then one of the females turns male when that dies? So how can they have male names anyway?
:D
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5443 times
Been liked: 2668 times

Coral ;)

I think your right though Ian, although i might also be thinking of the species that turns male/female after 10 years of being the opposite...
Last edited by Gingerlove05 on Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
Cheltgirl
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 14 times

In a group the most dominant (and usually largest) will become female (they are born without gender) the 2nd in command will be a male submissive to the female and stay smaller. The rest of the group will remain small and without gender. If the female dies the 2nd in command will become female and one of the smaller will become male and be the replacement 2nd. If the 2nd dies one of the little ones step up and if the female accepts it will become male etc etc.

Despite telling my son all of this he still insisted on Nemo and Marlin because that’s the way he is ROFL plus I couldn’t think of anything better on the way home from the shop :grin: The girl is starting to be called Marlene more now :grin:

The ten year thing is a type of grouper I believe. Female for ten years then possibly changes to male. I’m sure it was a Blue Planet episode?!?!
Last edited by Cheltgirl on Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
500L Sooperhooge Goldfish tank :)
200L The Barbarium….Tiger barbs and a very grumpy BN plec
200L Marine Reef.....stocking in progress!
Cheltgirl
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Oh and on checking this morning both Marlene and Nemo we’re asleep in the corner of the tank having a cuddle :D I’m quite confident they are a bonded pair :D
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Yep it was a grouper, well remembered :D
And you are correct 10 years female then changes to a male, apparently helps diversify the population gene pool :)
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
Cheltgirl
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Having a little cuddle and a lie in on a Monday morning :grin:

Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Lucky buggers, i’ve been up since 4:30! :D ROFL
Last edited by Gingerlove05 on Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Annie
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 151 times

Aww so sweet ? did they mush up all the sand, lots of humps and bumps ?
Bikini Bottom - 168l Bronze, Peppered & Albino Cory, Black Widows, Cherry & Green Tiger Barb, Amanos The Kremlin - 58l  Bronze Corys
QT - 15l
Bronze Cory Fry
Cheltgirl
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

They’ve dug out that little corner for themselves ?. The rest of the messy bottom is me not bothering to smooth it out ROFL
Cheltgirl
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Thought it best to get a QT for the marine. As fish will need to be in QT for a couple of weeks at least I didn’t want to have the plastic box on the floor like we do for Hospital Tank so found this locally on eBay. Managed to squeeze it in next to the big marine so they will be able to see each other whilst waiting to move into the big house. Will also be easier for me to monitor health through glass than an opaque plastic box.

Got back late with it so no idea if any of it works yet or even everything that’s in there!! Will fiddle with it tomorrow :swim: