Rescue and release

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your ponds.
DaisyGLam

Hello first post here, 

We rescued a goldfish just over two months  ago from my cats mouth. 
We named him lucky because he had somehow survived from a pond snatching by my naughty cat jasmine and been quite badly bitten and played with. I’m very low on money and have done the best for him and he’s made a really good recovery. He ended up pooping out his side as jasmine pulled a bit of his guts out but now hes pooping normally and it’s all good colour. 
The time has come where we need to return him to a pond as he will of course continue to grow as he’s a common goldfish. 
I wanted to speak to some people about advice as I’m totally new to fish keeping and very lost!
We’re going to ask if anyone we know has a pond or failing that post online for a forever home for lucky. 

1. Anything to look out for in the pond/persons to give him to? I like to think he’s a fighter but I care about all creatures and don’t want him going to someone who’d abuse him and keeping pond life is TOTALLY out of my brain zone
2. Any final things to look out for health wise in him? He’s been eating fine all injuries and scales have grown back and he’s beautifully shiny and responsive. He’s lost a lot of his orange and gone more silver with orange patches but I only assume this is the change in water and algae from pond to tank.

I’m sorry if I sound stupid or I’ve done something wrong, it was either another chance of life or jasmines midnight snack. Thank you ? xx
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 308 times
Been liked: 1387 times

It came from a pond in your (cat’s) neighbourhood. Maybe try to find it? Ask locally. The local shops that sell pond stuff might know customers with ponds near you... or try Google Earth maybe, if you have a nice big screen. You never know.

If you find one, ask if you can see the pond. It’s only fair if you’re giving them a fish. If you think the pond is big enough and the water’s clear and the fish look healthy... I’d settle for that.
Last edited by black ghost on Mon Jul 22, 2019 23:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
Mfisher
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

This post has restored my faith in humanity - a lot of people would have just left the poor thing to die!
Jen1981
Posting Legend
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 90 times

DaisyGLam wrote: Hello first post here, 

We rescued a goldfish just over two months  ago from my cats mouth. 
We named him lucky because he had somehow survived from a pond snatching by my naughty cat jasmine and been quite badly bitten and played with. I’m very low on money and have done the best for him and he’s made a really good recovery. He ended up pooping out his side as jasmine pulled a bit of his guts out but now hes pooping normally and it’s all good colour. 
The time has come where we need to return him to a pond as he will of course continue to grow as he’s a common goldfish. 
I wanted to speak to some people about advice as I’m totally new to fish keeping and very lost!
We’re going to ask if anyone we know has a pond or failing that post online for a forever home for lucky. 

1. Anything to look out for in the pond/persons to give him to? I like to think he’s a fighter but I care about all creatures and don’t want him going to someone who’d abuse him and keeping pond life is TOTALLY out of my brain zone
2. Any final things to look out for health wise in him? He’s been eating fine all injuries and scales have grown back and he’s beautifully shiny and responsive. He’s lost a lot of his orange and gone more silver with orange patches but I only assume this is the change in water and algae from pond to tank.

I’m sorry if I sound stupid or I’ve done something wrong, it was either another chance of life or jasmines midnight snack. Thank you ? xx
Well done on the rescue!!! Actually quite surprised the cat didn’t eat it, my cat has brought home 2 rabbits in the last few weeks and proceeded to eat 1 & leave a half eaten 1 in the in the garden.......damn cats!!!
DaisyGLam

Thank you for your lovely words and responses!
I did think it was a simple task, just wanted to check a few things in case I make a massive blunder. Imagine going through all that to have him go splat at the end ?
The feline suspect (Jasmine) usually destroys everything she gets but birds are her usual thing so maybe she just didntfancy eating him fully. Her sister Luna is so cute and chases moths and flies and brings home other cats collars she’s so sweet and innocent ah my heart!
I’ve posted on Facebook on a local group for my village requesting him a pond now just to wait!
I’ve really enjoyed looking after him so will miss him but we want to get a couple of danios or something small to replace him that will thrive in the smaller tank.
I also liked the idea of google earth but we live in very rural Cornwall where according to google earth we still have our 2002 Vauxhall Zafira ?
DaisyGLam

I’ve decided to add a photo of Lucky ?
You can’t see in the top photo but on the other side all his guts were hanging out and now all that’s left is a little scar. I’m so proud of his progress :)
Hope you enjoy seeing him too :)

Edit: I’m not sure if it attached the image ? Ha if not does anyone know how to do it? Lol
Last edited by DaisyGLam on Sat Jul 27, 2019 15:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5424 times
Been liked: 2667 times

For attachments you need to press the New Reply button and use the Imgur button to upload pics as the forum plug in isnt working at the minute.
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 308 times
Been liked: 1387 times

My cats’ main ambition is birds, but they’ve hardly ever caught one. Bruce had a few low flying pipistrelles (they all recovered). Mice are more their level. Fast yet easy. Thankfully there aren’t many round here. They’d love a pigeon, but they’re not the slightest bit interested in rabbits... or pheasants much to my pleasant surprise. Sky encountered a rat once, but knew better than to approach it. They annoy me with frogs and toads. They just sit in front of it occasionally tapping it on the head...
Last edited by black ghost on Sat Jul 27, 2019 17:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
DaisyGLam

Cheltgirl
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 14 times

You’ve done a wonderful job :D
500L Sooperhooge Goldfish tank :)
200L The Barbarium….Tiger barbs and a very grumpy BN plec
200L Marine Reef.....stocking in progress!