Newbie Advice

Request information on fish, plants or other aquarium issues.
jacksdad
Posting Legend
Has liked: 194 times
Been liked: 272 times

I use Vaseline to lubricate the rubber seal, just a light smear is all that's needed. Most of us bin the carbon, its not much use and only lasts a few weeks. The one thing to watch is to use the media in correct order, these filters flow down the side sponges then up through the trays and out of the top, I think its usual to keep the Fluval sponges in the side holder, then from the bottom tray working upwards, add coarse, medium then fine sponge in first tray. Next tray maybe plastic balls, I used the ceramic tubes from my old filter, then 2 trays filled with Biohome Ultimate: that's it!
I don't use any sponge/polishing pads on top, as they will trap any dirt and solids, which will the fall down and block the Biohome media.
I've read that the ceramic tubes need replacing every few months, does anyone bother? :)
Fluval 160, Boyu 300 'New Used Project 2' , Leddy 60l Shrimp tank
eBay stalker bargain hunter!
jacksdad
Posting Legend

Suse
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 440 times

Good video - he uses the same arrangement as I do i.e. sponge and polishing pads at the bottom, then three trays of media. I agree that if you are going to use filter floss / polishing pads (and they're definitely not essential) they are best coming before the media rather than after, so clean water hits the media.

Absolutely no need to replace the ceramic rings every few months - in fact it's positively harmful as you are throwing away good bacteria. Just swill lightly in tank water when they look grubby to loosen the debris. In fact with the exception of polishing pads and any chemical media such as carbon (if used), nothing ever needs to be replaced until it falls apart after many years' use.

I was told not to use Vaseline on the rubber seal as it can make it dry out and fail over time - apparently silicone grease is the thing to use. You can get it off Amazon or eBay for a few quid, like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20g-Silicone ... SwMmBVuLU9 A little goes a long way! Fluval sell their own silicone grease but it doesn't seem to be available in the UK.
jacksdad
Posting Legend

I agree, the ceramic rings I got are all worn down and thinner that new, must have been in use for years!
I've been restoring cars and bikes for many years, and have used Vaseline for lubrication thousands of times, on rubber and paper gaskets etc. It is called petroleum jelly after all, its made from oil somehow. Makes great fire lighters melted into cotton wool, and its edible! :)
Suse
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

jacksdad wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 14:03 pm I agree, the ceramic rings I got are all worn down and thinner that new, must have been in use for years!
I've been restoring cars and bikes for many years, and have used Vaseline for lubrication thousands of times, on rubber and paper gaskets etc. It is called petroleum jelly after all, its made from oil somehow. Makes great fire lighters melted into cotton wool, and its edible! :)
Oh really, is it OK? I'll probably switch to using it then - the silicone grease is a nightmare to get off my hands... I use Vaseline as a lip balm so it will be cheaper too ;)

Edit: I pulled up the Fluval 407 manual to check and it does state "Do NOT use petroleum jelly based products" (p6, point 2) though doesn't say why

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... cQnHJmubSx

but it does say vegetable oil can be used, which I never realized! Also cheap and in my kitchen!

Edit 2: it also suggests to replace the motor head seal (O ring) and impeller as a precaution every year. Does anyone do this? I have a spare in case of sudden breakage but haven't changed it pre-emptively...
Flex365
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 313 times
Been liked: 235 times

Thanks all for the the YouTube video links and advice - very helpful.
I’ll follow what was recommended in the video - purchased the coarse/ medium filter sponge , and fine pad.
Also should be receiving the bio Home ultimate media soon.

So to begin with I’ll replace the long Fluval side filter sponges with the ones in the video.
In the media trays I was going to keep the exsisting fluval sponge and purchase the fine pad in the video and place in in the first tray,
In the second tray, transfer the ceramics from the 306.
in the third and forth use the bio home media.
Will this be ok ?

PS - do I need to add the “FREE BIODEGRADEABLE GEL BACTERIA BALLS TO GET YOUR FILTER STARTED EVEN FASTER “ into any of the trays?
Suse
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Your suggested layout sounds perfect, though I wouldn't bother replacing the long Fluval side sponges - they do a perfectly good job and are purpose-designed for the filter. You won't need to replace them for years (possibly ever) so I wouldn't waste my money on off-brand alternatives if you already have a perfectly good set. Everything else you've suggested sounds great.

Definitely no need for bacteria balls... If you are keen to spend money on a bottled bacteria product, Tetra Safe Start or Seachem Stability are much better bets. But nothing at all works just fine too :) Edit: though if you are getting them for free, then chuck them in, it won't hurt!
Flex365
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 313 times
Been liked: 235 times

Newbie question:
What should I do in the event of a power cut? Besides Panic !!
What items should I buy and have on standby in advance - just in case?
This must have happened to other members - What did you do - How did you manage? And What did you learn? From this expected / unexpected experience?
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

Don't panic!!
Keep the tank(s) warm with blankets or polystyrene. Don't feed. Do a water change when everything is back to normal.
jacksdad
Posting Legend

Filter media sounds perfect, you keep the 'loaded' stuff from your old filter, I'd also tip the water from old to new, try to let it settle for an hour, when you fire it up it will blast lots of muck into the water! I just swapped over the old tubes and the water, plus the new Biohome stuff. the tank water turned totally cloudy, I almost wet meself! It was crystal clear next morning though. I did think it would fire some muck into the tank, but the amount was a big shock.
I added the foc bio balls, and used Stability, you can't really overload the bacteria so I thought I'd use both.
Everything settled overnight, the tank looked awful to start with but the fish were fine, I did have to give the plants a bit of a clean and a shake to dislodge the sediment though