Newbie Advice

Request information on fish, plants or other aquarium issues.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

It may or may not speed it up.
Using ammonia takes an average of around 6 weeks.
It is more controllable though, you can tell where you are from the daily readings and when to add ammonia or not, rather than leaving food lying around.....
Hanlou
Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 78 times

Jon_D wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:00 pm HANLOU, in another thread, raised an interesting point when mentioning that ammonia be continually added to a cycling tank. I didn’t do this, merely adding enough amount to start it and leaving the decaying food in the bottom to add the necessary ammonia during the cycle. Maybe this is why the cycle took 7 – 8 weeks. I need to commence cycling my 40 gallon (being repaired) and wonder if regular additions of ammonia would speed up the process.
It’s a case of topping it up so that the munchers can keep on munching I guess! But it’s important that you don’t overdose and kill the friendly munchers lol. :D

But it’s thanks to you I found the Dr Tim’s ammonia stuff that looks a lot easier than the stuff I’ve got (and can’t even get into.....! :dodgy: ) so it’s all about sharing and learning from each other! And if in doubt, ask @plankton! :cool: :P
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod

I'm not that knowledgeable.......but thanks for the compliment. :D
Flex365
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 318 times
Been liked: 235 times

Picking up the Fluval 240 this weekend - previous owners had it just under 2 years. No fish included.
There taking the tank water out before collection.
My plan is to start from scratch and put in about 1 cm of plant substrate and top it with about 3cm of Unipac Sand.
A few questions.
1. The existing established media comes with the tank. Will the process be just like recycling the tank again when refilling it back up - eg Water + Prime + Stability.
2. Once the tank parameters are ok - can anyone advise on stocking options for the 240L as it’s a big step up from my current 46L. The water in my area is Soft.
Anything else I should be doing - please let me know.

Thanks
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod

If you have ammonia, then I would suggest 1ppm to see whether it disappears overnight with double zeros....before spending money on the dearer stuff ;)
Are you moving your current stock or will this be a "blank canvas"?
Flex365
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Current stock - 3 platys, 3 guppies and 3 neon tetra in the 46L tank. Have been told previously that the soft water is not good for the Platys and guppies - so looking for soft water compatible fish stock ideas. Would it be better to try and take the above fish back to the LFS and stock tank from new in the 240L tank with soft water fish or would it be ok to keep the above fish as well?

Any advice as always appreciated.
Jon_D
Posting Legend
Has liked: 657 times
Been liked: 774 times

My tank took almost 8 weeks cycling from 3 September to November 5th,.! But I had no fish, just plants. I also realise than I omitted to keep adding ammonia to it and just let it do its own thing! I now understand that adding that bit extra of Dr. Tim's on a regular basis would have speeded up ther whole process. It was a big kick to finally see the tank ready for its little inhabitants. No doubt you weill feel the same when yours is settled. However since then the fish have thrived and I do one 30% or so water change once a week on Wednesdays and the fish have one day “fasting” on Sundays. A weekly check shows no ammonias nor nitrites. Biggest problem I have is to restrain myself from over-feeding the inhabitants. :-)
jacksdad
Posting Legend
Has liked: 194 times
Been liked: 272 times

Both my set ups were bought second hand, 160 and 260 Fluval tanks with external filters, plus loads of extras (very very cheap, see my posts!)
The first was the 160, it came with the APS EF2+ external filter, still full of water. I started with just plants and left it to 're-cycle' which happen easily and quickly :)
I then bought the 260 (for £55 :O ) this time the used filter (cheaper APS) was dry. I bought a used Fluval 406 minus media, put the APS filter media in it, and added half the muck from my now cycled 160, I even put a bag of used ceramic rings inside the tank. Again ran it with just plants, this time it was up and running in a week. I added 7 danios at first, followed by a few corys a week later. I had a Nitrite spike, but sorted this right away with Seachem Stability and a 75ltr water change.
Adding water from a used tank and some filter media/muck was always the way to start new set ups 'when I were a lad' :)
Flex365
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Can anyone advise as to what I can use safely - to clean the inside tank glass of my newly purchased used tank.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod

You can use mild bleach (like Milton fluid) as the conditioner will negate the chlorine, or lemon, or white vinegar, or a salt paste if you have any stubborn marks.
Make sure to rinse well before setting up. ;)