sponges or not?

Request information on fish, plants or other aquarium issues.
dinofred1
Been liked: 9 times

I reversed the sponges or the fine clogs up to quick.
sbrown64
Been liked: 1 time

yes I have the two cartridges for the sponges. so my aim is to fill up the bottom with ceramic media and sponges and floss in the upper chamber.
dinofred1
Been liked: 9 times

why ceramic there's a lot better stuff out there.
sbrown64

I am using the ceramic media from my old fluval 405 filter. What would you recommend instead?
jacksdad
Posting Legend
Has liked: 194 times
Been liked: 272 times

I've swapped to Biohome Ultimate, and my tanks are crystal clear and clean.
Not sure what filters you are using but you need to start with coarse/medium and fine sponges to physically catch the muck, before it goes through the ceramic or other bio muck catchers such as the Ultimate bars. As Pondguru sates, don't put a polisher or any sponges after the bio catchers as they will get clogged much quicker. I don't have any carbon or charcoal in, but have some if needed, I'd empty the 'last' tray and use it until no longer required.
I have kept the used ceramic rings from the original set up and filled one tray with it to transfer the munchers, plus the water: this was filthy and when I switched on the refilled filter it filled the tanks with cloudy muck, but it cleared overnight and the fish were fine.
Watch Pond Guru on YouTube, he does vids dedicated to all the popular filters :)
Fluval 160, Boyu 300 'New Used Project 2' , Leddy 60l Shrimp tank
eBay stalker bargain hunter!
sbrown64

I watched pondguru video for setting up the sponges in the rio tank as he did, my intention is to use the bottom chamber for bio media from my fluval 405.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5051 times
Been liked: 3423 times

If you're moving the media across, then do so.
You can think about "upgrading" it later, little by little after you're sure everything is settled. ;)
sbrown64

what else would anyone else use? I just thought they were good enough for the fluval, but I am open to better options?
Ruth
Posting Legend
Has liked: 733 times
Been liked: 1316 times

I know that when I got my Juwel it wasn’t filled with media and later on I put more sponges in. You might have room for your own sponges and a couple of the ones from the new tank.
sbrown64

what do you all use in your filters? if not sponges and the ceramic rings?