Stocking suggestions

Request information on fish, plants or other aquarium issues.
ScubaDoo
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 12 times

My tank is finally stable!
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
And between 10-20ppm nitrates !

Has been for about 5 days now so I can finally take a *little* sigh of relief!

Now after much heartache from losing fish and having learned A LOT along the way, my question is.. what would people suggest a nice stock would be for a 65litre tank?

Unfortunately I only have 3 diamond tetra and 1 guppy left :cry: I have been told to consider rehoming so they can hopefully have a happier/better life in a larger tank! I don’t want to make the same mistakes and have lost trust in fish stores which is why I’m reaching out to the real experts!

I absolutely love Sterbai Cory, any possibility having them in my tank?

Thanks in advance for any advice - I can finally start to really enjoy the hobby :grin:
ScubaDoo :grin:
Andys temperate tank
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Has liked: 4375 times
Been liked: 2888 times

You could have some sterbai in there. I've got 6 in a 60l. As long as your water hardness suits them.
64l kitchen tank: 16 golden tetra.
5ft 425L: 7 blue angel fish, 30 rummie nose tetra, 20 black neon tetra, 1 longfin bristlenose plec, 2 corydoras sterbai, 2 SAE.
Penfold
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 21 times

Hello,

I’d suggest some shrimp, they’re great fun to warch as they’re a bit crazy and they help clean up the tank. I’ve got some nerrite snails too to help keep the spot clean, not as interesting as the shrimp but still cool. Just watch out of water hardness and add minerals if you have soft water so they all stay healthy.

I’ve gone for amano and bamboo shrimp (can’t breed), the nerrite snails (can’t breed) as well as Neon Tetras. Once my new tank is stable I’ll add some corys to complete things.
ScubaDoo

Andys temperate tank wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 20:53 pm You could have some sterbai in there. I've got 6 in a 60l. As long as your water hardness suits them.
This has made my night :woo:

What could I have with them?
ScubaDoo

Penfold wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 21:28 pm Hello,

I’d suggest some shrimp, they’re great fun to warch as they’re a bit crazy and they help clean up the tank. I’ve got some nerrite snails too to help keep the spot clean, not as interesting as the shrimp but still cool. Just watch out of water hardness and add minerals if you have soft water so they all stay healthy.

I’ve gone for amano and bamboo shrimp (can’t breed), the nerrite snails (can’t breed) as well as Neon Tetras. Once my new tank is stable I’ll add some corys to complete things.
Ooh nice suggestions - thanks! I would like some shrimp but would they be ok with Corys with them both being bottom dwellers?
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

I've kept shrimp with corys. Amanos and the fan-feeders are certainly fine. :)
If your water is a bit soft then get some cuttlefish "bone" and break a piece off, pop it in boiling water for a couple of minutes, then drop it in the tank. It will provide extra calcium for any shrimp or snails for moulting/growing shells.
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1415 times
Been liked: 3407 times

ScubaDoo wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 16:06 pm According to Severn Trent my water supply is soft water (I use tap water and treat with a dechlorinator)
The water in Stapleford is hard at approx 13dGH (German) with an average pH of pH7.16 according to Severn Trent.
Which part of Stapleford do you live? Some parts may be different to other parts.

Can you type in your post code to this web page (just to double check).
https://www.stwater.co.uk/my-supply/water-quality/check-my-water-quality/

The water hardness will appear below as Hardness value, use the Hardness German value. ;)
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 13 x Cory sterbai 52 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)