Red Sea Max Nano - to freshwater

Request information on fish, plants or other aquarium issues.
thepominlaw

Hi all,

After keeping fish for over 40 years I have acquired a used Red Sea Max Nano, don’t want to go the usual reef route as done that before but I love the cube shape. I know most of the bits with the tank I cannot use so plan to sell them (MP10QW, doser, protein skimmer etc) but was thinking the media reactor could be used for carbon and the Tunze auto top up would work fine. Biggest concern is filtration was thinking maybe a canister filter plumbed into the tanks rear sump? Light is Reef LED 50 which has 10% white which I thought I could use until I get a kessil.

Thinking something small like puffer, tank is an 18” (450mm) cube

What’s everyone’s thoughts.
Lee_k
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 330 times
Been liked: 676 times

You can just use the sump for filtration if it still works? - A sump is probably the best form of filtration you can get (just a bigger canister filter really), with the added benefit you can hide all the equipment in it.
Bicher Congo Biotope Tank Log
Discus Tank Tank Log
Musk Turtle Tank Tank Log

Mbuna TankTank Log - Shut down
Turtle Falls tankTank Log - Shut down
Betta Tank 58l - Shut down
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5048 times
Been liked: 3422 times

Welcome to the forum. :)
I agree, you should be able to use the "sump" with normal sponge/ceramic if the pump works. The heater is there I presume?
You shouldn't need carbon with freshwater setups.
thepominlaw

That’s good news with the carbon out it makes more space in the back. There is a 100w titanium heater by Aqua Medic and matching controller, assuming the titanium will be okay or do I need to use glass? Looking at a fluval 207 for filtration any thoughts and maybe siporex in the back sump.

Lighting for now will be the Red Sea led with 10w of white light. Thinking I may swap it for a kessil sun once other components have sold.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1785 times
Been liked: 4197 times

Titanium heaters are so much better!

I’d just run it with the rear sump and not bother with an external filter. I’ve had many successful tanks running rear sumps, basic sponge filters etc.
thepominlaw

Any thoughts on lights planning on plants like crypts. Stick with the Red Sea reef led or a kessil 80 or 160
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4242 times
Been liked: 3908 times

Greetings :] & welcome to AF-UK
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1785 times
Been liked: 4197 times

I run the A80 Tuna Sun on a 60cm x 40cm tank so go with that. Marine lights are just wrong for freshwater - too blue
Lee_k
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 330 times
Been liked: 676 times

Have you found anything the A80 wont grow @fr499y - i've often been tempted to put 2 on my 4ft just to get that kessil shimmer without the mega costs.
Bicher Congo Biotope Tank Log
Discus Tank Tank Log
Musk Turtle Tank Tank Log

Mbuna TankTank Log - Shut down
Turtle Falls tankTank Log - Shut down
Betta Tank 58l - Shut down
thepominlaw

Thanks prefer the price of the A80. The Red Sea does have separate channels for white and blue so can turn that off completely if needed but the white is only 10w max. Also noticed a80 in Flora and sun, is it the sun I would need.

Struggling to figure out how I would do a internal foam filter, as you can see on the photo the pump remains on the right (Jecod 1200) there are two internal glass sections creating a weir. I plan on keeping the mesh sock for mechanical filtration