Whats this?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Forum suggestion always welcome. All things non-fishy related.
Alanh087
Has liked: 3 times

Hi all,

Recently let my tank go over the last few years, not done water changes as often as i should. Started to clean it all out etc but this stuff keeps coming back…..see image

I have bought fluval biological cleaner, should this help stopp this green stuff growing?

Tia….
DuzMano
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 26 times

Cyanobacteria (blue/green 'algae')?
Last edited by DuzMano on Thu May 02, 2024 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duz "'Scape Noob" Mano

Duz Mano's Leddy XL
Alanh087

Would the stuff mentioned above help clear this?
DuzMano
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 26 times

I'm not sure, not an expert I'm afraid, thus the question mark after my amateur prognosis haha I'm hoping someone else will confirm or deny and be in a position to offer the best solution. I'm sure someone will be along soon enough ;)
Duz "'Scape Noob" Mano

Duz Mano's Leddy XL
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1799 times
Been liked: 4278 times

cyano for sure. Suck out as much as you can and try increasing the flow in the aquarium.
Alanh087

fr499y wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:09 am cyano for sure. Suck out as much as you can and try increasing the flow in the aquarium.
Thanks, might be a stupid question but how can i increase the flow? I got rid of all this green stuff before i went away came back and its all growning back!
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4279 times
Been liked: 3925 times

Alanh087 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:53 am Thanks, might be a stupid question but how can i increase the flow? I got rid of all this green stuff before i went away came back and its all growning back!

Image courtesy of Sicce

Causes can be elevated phosphate levels, nitrogen deficiency or low CO2.
Last edited by Martinspuddle on Thu May 02, 2024 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5089 times
Been liked: 3435 times

The flow is probably not getting around the whole tank, top to bottom, that's a main cause of it.
What Martin has posted is a good idea if the filter can't be adjusted.
I had it in my Juwel Trigon and it took about 18 months to get the flow just right.
It doesn't like hydrogen peroxide (3% or 6%) spot dosed onto it and is easier to syphon out afterwards.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Alanh087

plankton wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 12:17 pm The flow is probably not getting around the whole tank, top to bottom, that's a main cause of it.
What Martin has posted is a good idea if the filter can't be adjusted.
I had it in my Juwel Trigon and it took about 18 months to get the flow just right.
It doesn't like hydrogen peroxide (3% or 6%) spot dosed onto it and is easier to syphon out afterwards.
Why would that be ive used the same filter for years? I use a filter that's way more powerful that it needs to be…..and the problem has inly just started within the last 6 months…can i get a chemical that kills the algae?
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1799 times
Been liked: 4278 times

cyanobacteria isn't an algae but bacteria. You can get stuff that treats it but It will keep coming back unless you get to the bottom of the cause.

What is the filter in question and how big is the tank? Its not unusual for shops to sell a filter and say 'Its more than enough for that size tank' when in reality, its not.

How often do you do a water change and how much are you changing at a time?
What fish are you keeping?
Do you have any live plants in the tank?