Cleaning a new aquarium

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
PaulVerrall

Cleaning a new aquarium

Post by PaulVerrall »

Could some of you give me a bit of a guide to cleaning my aquarium please, once again I've read so many different things!

It is cycled and all my levels are good. It's 200l. It has black 1-2mm substrate in it with various ornaments.
I have 5 corydoras, 1 Betta and 1 Hognose large catfish.

The filter is fitted in the top and pretty good.

My water is crystal clear, couple marks on the inside of glass but they are minimal.

What I really need is How often do I clean the filter? Take the sponges out? Replace the charcoal and ceramic in there?

How often should I do a partial water change?

And I have a Hoover for the substrate but the cat fish seem to be doing a great job there!

What do you clean the inside of the glass with?

Thanks for any help

fr499y
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Cleaning a new aquarium

Post by fr499y »

• Weekly water changes, 20-25% will do nicely
  • Swish the sponges in old tank water ( not tap water ) but only when they are getting clogged up and reducing flow, otherwise leave them alone.
  • Active carbon is a waste, don't use it unless you need to remove medications from the tank. Ceramics can be left unless they are getting clogged, then swish in tank water the same as the sponges.
  • Hoover the substrate if it looks dirty ( personally i never do! )
  • use something like filter wool for the inside glass if its just dusting of algae. Don't get any gravel or sand in it as it will scratch the tank.
Remember catfish need a proper diet too! they aren't cleaning the bottom of the tank as such, they are scaverging food thats left over. Make sure you feed them as you would other fish :)

Martinspuddle
Posting Freak

Post by Martinspuddle »

fr499y wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:50 am
  • Swish the sponges in old tank water ( not tap water ) but only when they are getting clogged up and reducing flow, otherwise leave them alone.
  • Active carbon is a waste, don't use it unless you need to remove medications from the tank. Ceramics can be left unless they are getting clogged, then swish in tank water the same as the sponges.
  • use something like filter wool for the inside glass if its just dusting of algae. Don't get any gravel or sand in it as it will scratch the tank.
Remember catfish need a proper diet too! they aren't cleaning the bottom of the tank as such, they are scaverging food thats left over. Make sure you feed them as you would other fish :)
You forgot to add the dechlorinator. :grin:
VOTE FOR MARTINSPUDDLE ☑️
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have come to the conclusion over the years that all fish have a serious drink problem! :grin:

PaulVerrall

Post by PaulVerrall »

fr499y wrote:
Thanks yeah I bought proper catfish food, in the tablet form that sinks to the bottom.

PaulVerrall

Post by PaulVerrall »

Martinspuddle wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:55 am
fr499y wrote:
You forgot to add the dechlorinator. :grin:

Once I do a water change and add the dechlorinator, how long do you wait to test the water? Will it have a big effect on the levels?

black ghost

Post by black ghost »

Do a water change weekly. The nitrate level will tell you how much you need to change. You haven’t many fish so 25%ish will be enough.

Clean the filter when it’s mucky... simple as that. The muck will break down releasing some ammonia so remove it. Also it will slow the flow down. Clean it if that happens. Syphon a few inches of tankwater into a bucket and empty the filter into it. Give the sponges a quick squeeze (you won’t get them clean but cleaner...), give the ceramic media a quick swish about, then back into the filter. Bin the carbon.

Get a gravel cleaner and periodically clean the gravel. The gravel over time will also fill up with muck which needs to be removed. Push the gravel cleaner vertically down through the gravel to the tank bottom. The muck in that bit of gravel will rise out of it and flow out of the tank. Then raise, and repeat next to it. You can do part of the gravel with each water change till you’ve done it all... with not many fish it’ll be a month or three between cleans, unless you’re obsessive about it...

Your Brochis needs to be in a group of about 6+.
Last edited by black ghost on Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

black ghost

Post by black ghost »

You can test the water a couple of minutes after the change. It won’t have much effect on the levels, except the nitrates will be slightly lower.

PaulVerrall

Post by PaulVerrall »

Ok cool cheers guys