Hello everyone and questions

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
GeorgeDK
Been liked: 6 times

Everyone i am in need of help

My betta hasnt been eating for 2 days , he is slowly losing color on the bottom and god help me if i can tell why.

Water parameters are normal, temp is 25C, no other fish to harm him, oxygen should be good due to clean water and plants.

Today i got him live artemia and he doesnt even look at them, before that would make him jump.

He are hikari micro and jbl protein flakes before getting sick.

Couple days ago i got him an amazon sword, any way it can be the plant ?
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1785 times
Been liked: 4200 times

how long have you had him? could be old age? any pictures?
GeorgeDK

fr499y wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 14:07 pm how long have you had him? could be old age? any pictures?
Had him about a month, no idea on age.

Now ive been reading about velvet and when i got him he was rubbing against stuff sometimes but i didnt make anything of it. I might add some salt to the tank but i want some opinions from u guys first.

Tomorrow he is going in the empty plastic tank i have and im going to bomb the one hes in, everything is going for a boil. Shame because there are some little shrimp in there but i will not risk infecting my other tank for a few shrimp

This just cements the idea of having a quarantine tank for everything you buy from any fish store, not worth risking everything out of laziness and very little money.

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5048 times
Been liked: 3422 times

It could be velvet, or an excess of mucus.
What conditioner are you using? Does it have aloe vera in? If so, you may be overdosing which is not good.
GeorgeDK

plankton wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:05 am It could be velvet, or an excess of mucus.
What conditioner are you using? Does it have aloe vera in? If so, you may be overdosing which is not good.
I dont use conditioner , tap water in Denmark only goes through a filtration process and no chemicals are added, no chlorine or anything else.

It is hard water but my tests and research show zero nitrite or nitrate , zero chlorine and zero ammonia from the tap.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod

It may be the hard water starting to have an effect then, how hard is it (dGH would be the best value)?
GeorgeDK

plankton wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:46 pm It may be the hard water starting to have an effect then, how hard is it (dGH would be the best value)?
The water is liquid stone basically , 20+ but he came in 16 dGH from the store.

He is now alone in the 19l with 1tbsp of salt, i will increase by another tbsp of salt slowly over the next 6 hours. Lights are also off, he gets passive light from the tank next to him.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod

Hope he recovers from whatever it is.
GeorgeDK

Back after a long time with some bad news :(

My betta recovered from whatever was wrong with him or so i thought. Two days after my last post he began eating again and slowly he was back to his usual self harassing the shrimp and eating regularly , his beautiful blue color came back and was deeper than ever . This morning i woke up and went to turn on the lights , he was lifeless on the sand . Last night he was absolutely fine and active so the reason for his passing is beyond me .

In other news all my projects are now on hold as i have to sell everything. We are moving to a different country and taking live fish with me is not an option but this is definitely not the end for my hobby.

Will start posting regularly again after the move is done and a new build begins.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod

Sorry to hear about the betta. :(

Good luck with sorting out the move. :)