Hello everyone and questions

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
jacksdad
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 113 times

RE: Hello everyone and questions

Post by jacksdad » Mon Oct 21, 2019 14:29 pm

Low Modulus is semi-rigid....High Modulus is more flexible. I use lots of sili in my job as Plumber kitchen & bathroom fitter :)

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 297 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by plankton » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:44 am

Keep counting the shrimp. ;)

He's very handsome. :)
Do you have any broad-leafed plants for him to rest on?
All my pets (except fish, I don't name them any more, well my daughter named them really) have had rock-based names, so the name is quite cool. Is he a "giant" betta by any chance (or whatever they call them nowadays)?
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian

All my posts are from a desktop.
Mobiles are way too complicated for me, although I do have one now. ;)

Vale!
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 70 times

Post by Vale! » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:49 am

jacksdad wrote: Low Modulus is semi-rigid....High Modulus is more flexible. 
Hmmm.  That wasn't my understanding and it appears to be borne out by a quick Google.  Many industry sources support my understanding, for example : this one.

Are we talking at cross-purposes somehow?

GeorgeDK
Been liked: 5 times

Hello everyone and questions

Post by GeorgeDK » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:58 pm

[quote="plankton" pid='40468' dateline='1571730270']
Keep counting the shrimp. ;)

He's very handsome. :)
Do you have any broad-leafed plants for him to rest on?
All my pets (except fish, I don't name them any more, well my daughter named them really) have had rock-based names, so the name is quite cool. Is he a "giant" betta by any chance (or whatever they call them nowadays)?
[/quote]

Well for now the planting isnt finished in the tank so i have some grass and 4 or 5 hygrophila polysperma stems, i plan to carpet the whole sand area with eleocharis parvula once i find the damn thing. Would he prefer amazon swords or jungle val ?
I dont think hes a giant one but you never know . At the moment he is normal size but his age is a mistery so we will see if he grows at all in the next months.
Hes been eating adult artemia yesterday and ive been giving him little hikari tropical pellets too, eating well and quite active.
Really funny how he will go into display mode when my wife is watching him but never for me, guess he really likes her [emoji1787]
54l planted tank - Tropico                  54l planted tank - Blackhill Crossing                    19l planted cube  
10 Neon Tetra                                          8 cherry shrimp                                             WIP
8 Corydoras Paleatus                              Blue Betta ( Mr Big )                                   
Shrimp ( no idea how many )
Lots of snails

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by plankton » Tue Oct 22, 2019 15:52 pm

Was he labelled as a feathertail (hence the price)?
It's quite difficult to tell delta and halfmoons, let alone combinations of them.... ;)

Ian

Annie
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 241 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Annie » Tue Oct 22, 2019 16:38 pm

He is a beauty ? glad he’s in a nice big home , well done you !
Bikini Bottom - 168l
Bronze, Peppered & Albino Cory, Black Widows, Cherry & Green Tiger Barb, Amanos
The Kremlin - 58l 
Bronze Corys
QT - 15l
Bronze Cory Fry

jacksdad

Post by jacksdad » Tue Oct 22, 2019 17:54 pm

Re silicones, its a bit more complicated than I thought! You are indeed correct, low modulus IS more flexible, but not very strong. High Modulus is also (less) stretchy, but stronger. Then I found this " High modulus for the highest elongation and low modulus for the lowest elongation. High equals longer chains of polymer for more stretch the low modulus has short chains for less stretch."
I'm a bit lost myself tbh! I do know HM is the correct stuff for sealing baths, showers and worktops etc, thankfully.
There's also Acetoxy silicone, silicone adhesives, neutral core...depends on the exact use I suppose :O

GeorgeDK
Been liked: 5 times

Post by GeorgeDK » Wed Oct 23, 2019 20:42 pm

plankton wrote: Was he labelled as a feathertail (hence the price)?
It's quite difficult to tell delta and halfmoons, let alone combinations of them.... ;)
Well they had no label on them but everything is expensive in this country .....

As for telling his pattern .... i just love how quirky he is, few people actually mention how unfishlike they are. It's difficult to explain but interacting with him feels more like a  very small 2 inch dog than a fish, he is very very curious and greets us every time we approach his tank. This evening after i fed both tanks i ended up playing with him for a solid half hour. Also noticed he made himself a little resting space on top of the filter, it's flat and has no current and he managed to pull the floating plants back there.

Overall everything is going well, snails are still in mega orgy mode XD
54l planted tank - Tropico                  54l planted tank - Blackhill Crossing                    19l planted cube  
10 Neon Tetra                                          8 cherry shrimp                                             WIP
8 Corydoras Paleatus                              Blue Betta ( Mr Big )                                   
Shrimp ( no idea how many )
Lots of snails

jacksdad

Post by jacksdad » Wed Oct 23, 2019 22:54 pm

My lfs got some male bettas delivered last night, they were placing them in tanks with suitable fish when I called in this afternoon. They range from £12 to £22 each, they had crown tail, fan and standard I think, but they all look the same to me! I fancy getting a male and 3 females for my Shrimp Tank :) The shop has a stunning red male @ £22, think that's the crown tail, and some red/burgundy females, would look great with red shrimp but I'll need to save up for a while...

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by plankton » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:53 am

You can't keep male and female bettas together, one or all of them will die.
The males live on their own in the wild, then travel to find a female when they want to spawn, then the female is chased away. If there's nowhere for her to go then she is killed.

Ian