Guppy loss - RIP Keith

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
Flex365
FOTM & TOTM Winner
FOTM & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 325 times
Been liked: 236 times

Hi guys just lost 1 of my guppy’s - RIP Keith.  Tanks been running now for over 3.5 weeks.
Bought 5 guppy’s last Friday - water tests  at LFS all good. Was told ammonia might go up as new fish being introduced.  

Keith from the start preferred to stay at the top level of the tank, venturing down every now and again, his fellow guppy’s seem more lively sprinting around the tank. 

It was painful to watch helplessly - Keith struggling in his final moments - if only I could have done more for him.

My other fish - 2 platys seem fine.

Not sure what happened to Keith?

Done  a 25% water change, water test results below
Ammonia 0.5
Nitrite. 0.3
Nitrate. 15

Being a newbie - Could I have done anything different?

Any advice welcome.

RIP Keith.
Cheltgirl
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 14 times

Sorry for your loss.

It sounds as though you are in a fish-in cycle. Those levels of ammonia and nitrite are toxic to fish. You need to do as many water changes as you need to get those levels down to zero. You will need to test daily and water change whenever there is ammonia and/or nitrite readings of any kind. When you have 3 days in a row of 0 ammonia and nitrite your tank should then be cycled.

The weakest fish will be the first affected. If you continue to have ammonia and nitrite readings the other fish may begin to show signs of distress so keep a close eye on them.

A fish in cycle can take a while and is a lot of work so best of luck and feel free to ask as many questions as you need as everyone here will help and guide you through.
500L Sooperhooge Goldfish tank :)
200L The Barbarium….Tiger barbs and a very grumpy BN plec
200L Marine Reef.....stocking in progress!
Flex365
FOTM & TOTM Winner
FOTM & TOTM Winner

Thanks Cheltgirl,
Would one water change daily be sufficient? And
How much water should I be changing 25, 30 50% ?
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5446 times
Been liked: 2668 times

Sorry for your loss :(
I would recommend around 50% to halve the levels if ammonia, if you have (or can get hold of)seachem prime that will also help as it detoxifies ammonia and nitrite but still allows them to be consumed by the filter bacteria. Its a handy economical water conditioner :)
One water change a day until the levels settle will be fine :)
Something you can try and it has worked for myself and other members here, is when you add new fish try adding some seachem stability or tetra safe start, they are both proven beneficial bacteria in a bottle so they can give your filter bacteria a boost when adding stock (which would increase the bioload and waste).
Last edited by Gingerlove05 on Mon Sep 16, 2019 19:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
Flex365
FOTM & TOTM Winner
FOTM & TOTM Winner

Thanks GL, I’ll start the 50% daily water changes, tomorrow - until the ammonia and nitrite levels are zero, and will add the seachem Stabilty as suggested when I add new stock.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

You can try the stability in the tank now, it might help with the levels, although it is only meant to be used with a small number of fish, but it may work :)
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
Flex365
FOTM & TOTM Winner
FOTM & TOTM Winner

Thanks GL, I’ve just put the stabilty in.
Flex365
FOTM & TOTM Winner
FOTM & TOTM Winner

How many prime - drops do I need to add to a 50% water change on a 12 gallon tank?
Last edited by Flex365 on Mon Sep 16, 2019 21:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

With prime the cap is 5ml which is enough to dose a 200l tank, each one of the screw threads is 1ml approx. which is enough for 40l. Although on a plus note you can dose prime 5x regular dosage in emergencies to help detoxify any ammonia and nitrite. Hope that makes sense.
I got myself a 1ml syringe to help with prime dosing :)