Algae taken over

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Algae taken over

Post by Gingerlove05 »

Depends if you need to do a water change or not (eg low carbonates/ph crash, algae etc). You might have to in soft water cycling (more commonly at least). Otherwise best thing is to leave it until it cycles.
Once things settle down you can increase the light period gradually as Jon mentioned. Theres even a method that i have experimented with for a couple of years that seems to work (i got the idea from another place). But my lighting is set up in a couple of intervals, i think its 9am-11:30am then lights off for a few hours, then its 2pm-4pm and then 6:30/7pm until 10/10:30pm. Its a bit weird but the explanation was that algae takes around 4 hours to respond and start growing, also in darkness plants give out co2 instead of oxygen so when the lights come on theres some co2 for them to take up. It does seem to work in my tanks, my 100l gets more algae than the others but i do wonder if its because it was getting light from the 180l next to it as well as its own light. But i dont have co2 on my tanks :)

ChimpAndy

Post by ChimpAndy »

So I bought some liquid test kits today. I have 0 ammonia. Zero nitrite and a hint of nitrate. My ph is about 7.5 and i have no phosphate. I haven't tested for anything else but i was told that these were the most important. Since i have had a severe algae outbreak i will do a 50% water change but all other parameters seem ok.

Martinspuddle
Posting Freak

Post by Martinspuddle »

From the UKAPS links posted for you,

"3. Do change lots of water. At first replace 50% every day for a few days, then every other day. After a couple of weeks you can slow this down as long as you don’t see any algae (other than a few green spots on the glass – this is perfectly normal!) or dirt building up. It is important to keep up large water changes every week. With the recommended EI fertilisation you need to do 50% water changes every week on this tank. These will remove any organic wastes building up in the water as well as keeping the tank looking sparkling!"

I've run two high tech CO2 planted tanks in the past, both where run with 10 times volume turn over, and 50% waterchanges from the start and neither had any algae issues. They are a lot work to maintain long term but the results can be very rewarding.
Dealers, unless your getting advice from Aquascaper dealer like Green Machine or getting advice online from someone like George Farmer, I found local dealers don't seem have much idea how to run one of these set-ups.
Free N class Endlers: Link here
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have come to the conclusion over the years that all fish have a serious drink problem! :grin:

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by plankton »

It doesn't look as though the link says to use ammonia (I can't see that anyway), so, if you're not you would do more water changes.
Using ammonia it's normally best to leave unless you get the ph drop from all the carbonates being used up. :)

How are you using the CO2 and ferts?
CO2 should come on an hour before lights on and go off an hour before lights off. Make sure you don't overfeed the ferts as the algae will take up any excess.

ChimpAndy

Post by ChimpAndy »

Yeah I have the CO2 on an hour before and off an hour before the lights turn off. I have been dosing daily with pro flora ferropol 24, 4 drops per day

ChimpAndy

Post by ChimpAndy »

All levels were good but a 50% water change carried out the worst of the algae removed. 3 Ottos and 12 amano shrimp now added and now hard at work!

Lynnzer

Post by Lynnzer »

Best way to rid yourself of algae that has taken hold on plants is to carefully remove them and clean in a weak bleach solution with a toothbrush. I do it quite regularly. Just make sure you wash off all the bleach before re-planting.

I did consider a couple of pigfish to see if they would eat the stuff but they're just too big.