Complete disaster - help needed

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4219 times
Been liked: 3886 times

Greetings. :]

Like your algae farm! :grin:
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

Welcome to the forum. :)
Don't use an old toothbrush, I bought one especially for the tanks. It's a soft children's one and you can clean filter impellers with it as well. ;)
You never know what they use in toothpaste as well as the plastic granules. ;)
baggins67

As said above clean out as much as possible , full blackout for three days and check longer if needed :-). No feeding during this period.. Once done do another water change then seriously cut back on lighting to no more than 6 hours, cut back on feeding, and make sure no direct sunlight hitting tank from windows as this can cause a serious algae break out too.. :-)
Jon_D
Posting Legend
Has liked: 657 times
Been liked: 774 times

Hi Joanna, I was also a newbie, only 7 months ago, and made many errors. Fortunately I found this forum and followed the advice given. My own tank went through the "algae" problem, but not to the same extent; however once it was cured, I have had no worries in that area for the past 5 months. As "BADDAMS" sugegsted..." Having lots of plants will compete with the algae...." Real plants soak up the Nitrates which are part of the "cycling" system, and are the result of the fish having a "poo" as well as decaying food particles. A fast growing variety which I am using is "Elodea Densa"; another is Pogostemon erectus, and of course Java moss which covers the substrate. A problem with artifical plants is that there is alwasy the possibility that fish may injure themselves on the hard exterior of these items. Have fun as this is a great and rewarding hobby, and we have some real experts on this forum to help us benefit from it.
WinterRose73
Posting Legend
Has liked: 822 times
Been liked: 693 times

How is your tank going now, did you get the algae sorted out?
'Take wasps,' Death continued. 'Wasps are made entirely from bastard. Whose grand design are they part of?'