Reflections

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
SxAqua
Has liked: 486 times
Been liked: 353 times

Day 3 and already running into trouble 🥺

So my tank has 2 sides backing(fairly dark). Back of course and left hand side where there is a cupboard next door.

My new rasboras seem to be hanging out on the left hand side quite a lot. Swimming up and down the side. I'm assuming this is due to them seeing themselves. When I look through the opposite side of the tank I can see the backing and very faint reflections of the fish.

So I've just turned the tank light off and they have dissipated some what. But I'm not sure what to do about the left hand side. Do I take the backing off? Behind it is a light grey wooden cupboard. Or back it with a different colour ?

Any help appreciated. I dont want them getting stressed out 😣

Cheers

Andy
SxAqua

SxAqua

mikeyw64
Posting Legend
Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 1275 times

my view would be to leave as is, fish do behave differently with the lights off anyways.

It may also be something to do with the flow of water in the tank as to why they are staying to one side
Fishtales
Posting Legend
Has liked: 1064 times
Been liked: 471 times

Also they haven't been in the tank long. They are still settling in so I wouldn't worry about it too much at this stage. I have recently added fish to my 125l tank (about 5 days) they have calmed down now but some were up and down the side of the glass like lunatics.

My Clown loach when they moved to the bigger tank seemed to spend a great deal of the first couple of days going up and down the left hand side glass panel. Mind if they catch a look at themselves they will always dance with their reflections for fun it seems :rolleyes:

As Mike says fish will behave differently with the light off, that's normal. It is worth checking if your filter flow is affecting them as mentioned as well.

But you do need to give them time to get familiar with their new environment. It's a big change for them and they are settling as a group as well.
Fishkeeping - 4yrs

Aqua One 405lt 5ft tank - Sailfin pleco, Rainbow shark, albino/bronze cory x 11, 7 x Clown Loach
Filtration 2 x Aqua One Aquis 1050 externals, 1 x Ocellaris 850 external

Juwel 120lt 2ft - 12 x Cherry Barb, 10 x Panda Cory, 1 x Albino Bristlenose Pleco
Filtration Fluval 205
SxAqua

Thanks guys. I will give it a couple more days then. They certainly dont seem bothered at all by the pump. They will sometimes swim up to it back and forth. It's only 500L (Per hour?) And came with the tank so assume that's not too much for a 110L tank?
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

As @Fishtales said, they're still settling in. Even when I do a major clean out and re-jig of my tank, some fish take about a week before they're fully settled in again. Sometimes I wonder whether swimming up and down the glass helps them to remember the dimensions of the tank, especially when the glass is all clear and clean and no algae etc on it to mark it out as a barrier.
RedLee
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 127 times

My Rasboras did exactly the same when they were new in the tank.
They occasionally do now but far less frequently.
They'll be fine after a while.
Marina Vue 87L - 4 Harelquin Rasbora, 2 Honey Gourami, 9 Panda Cory, 6 Cherry Barb, 4 Amano Shrimp
Filtration Fluval 207
Danmassey
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 73 times

Yeah I've wondered this when I've had new fish and read that's it's stress related sometimes, it suggested having lights off for longer periods when introducing new fish.