Stocking ideas

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
Redpanda
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 854 times
Been liked: 284 times

Hello , me again ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ™ˆ

So after restarting my fishless cycle again and all looking a bit more positive, also taking into consideration that LFS wonโ€™t be open anytime soon, I thinking to get first fish online. Iโ€™m trying to look local ads just in case something appears too, but seems unlikely at the moment.

I would like to start with 12 runny nose tetra and/or 6 corys, possibly ๐ŸŒ and/shrimp.
I would add at the later date more fish, possibly rainbows, or dwarf cichlids, or gourami, or angels - will have more time to decide ๐Ÿ˜‚

Any advise on the following points???

* any good online shop recommendations?
* any comments/recommendations on my starting fish as above for beginning?
* any recommendations on Cory species which ones are fun?
* what should I buy in advance, like what food, any other things to have in hand, Stability? Something for worms or other diseases? Obviously water conditioner.

Sorry for so many questions, but when everyone has be super helpful, I thought Iโ€™ll keep asking ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

Thanks a lot in advance
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

You don't want any fish with runny noses at the moment....!! ;) :D
Remind me of the tank size, hardness and ph or I'll get confused. ;)
If you want rummies then it will be warmer so you'll want corys that won't be upset by heat, so sterbai, c048, gossei, burgessi or something else that can take it.
I don't know whether APS is still delivering livestock, so can't advise on shops. (APS is the only licensed courier for livestock)
Decide on all the stock, then check for the food needed. For rummies and corys good protein food and frozen or live is best.
Stability or Safestart is a good idea for when you introduce fish, so is Melafix (especially with corys).
Redpanda
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Redpanda wrote: โ†‘Thu Apr 09, 2020 16:42 pm Hello , me again ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ™ˆ

So after restarting my fishless cycle again and all looking a bit more positive, also taking into consideration that LFS wonโ€™t be open anytime soon, I thinking to get first fish online. Iโ€™m trying to look local ads just in case something appears too, but seems unlikely at the moment.

I would like to start with 12 runny nose tetra and/or 6 corys, possibly ๐ŸŒ and/shrimp.
I would add at the later date more fish, possibly rainbows, or dwarf cichlids, or gourami, or angels - will have more time to decide ๐Ÿ˜‚

Any advise on the following points???

* any good online shop recommendations?
* any comments/recommendations on my starting fish as above for beginning?
* any recommendations on Cory species which ones are fun?
* what should I buy in advance, like what food, any other things to have in hand, Stability? Something for worms or other diseases? Obviously water conditioner.

Sorry for so many questions, but when everyone has be super helpful, I thought Iโ€™ll keep asking ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

Thanks a lot in advance
So sorry for typos ๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ™ˆ phone doesnโ€™t itโ€™s own thing ๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ™ˆ
Redpanda
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Thanks Plankton, so, itโ€™s 249L ( aquascaper 900), so quite tall (90x50x70cm).
ph around 7.5 or slightly more ( guessing by colour),
General hardness around 6
Boosting KH from 1 to 4-5
Fx4 filter super strong flow, but will try to reduce it by 20%

I am not sure what other fish I will want to get later, but I thought if I start with rummy nose and Corys, this would be great start ๐Ÿ˜Š thanks for recommending certain types.
Am I ok on numbers of each? Considering tank dimensions?

And will order some bits online as you mentioned, just not sure how to choose food ๐Ÿ™ˆ

APS unfortunately stopped all the life stock ๐Ÿ˜” so been looking elsewhere..

Thanks so much ๐Ÿ˜Š
Vess
Been liked: 2 times

Aps are now delivering again but cannot guarantee the next day delivery time line due to back log ..available but a risk.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4220 times
Been liked: 3888 times

APS? you sure you don't mean APC Overnight parcels?
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod

I might do, my brain is getting confused with this strange situation.
It's an acronym, whatever it is....... ;) :D :P

I use Tetra Prima minigranules, they seem to go down well. For frozen I use a mixed selection to give them a change.
For that many fish you'll only need half or even a quarter for the tank. Defrost it first in tankwater.
Vess
Been liked: 2 times

Martinspuddle wrote: โ†‘Thu Apr 09, 2020 22:06 pm APS? you sure you don't mean APC Overnight parcels?
Yep - predictive text fail :)
Redpanda
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

As it stands at the moment I chose the worst time to start a fish tank ๐Ÿ™ˆ it looks like I canโ€™t get any fish and failing at everything I do. I have loads tiny snails because of plants, growing algae too ( brown and green wool like) ๐Ÿ™ˆ
My piece of wood floated up today as the little slate glued to the bottom has come apart, I weighed it down with the rock but looks weird and probably need to do something about it ( no idea what because wood is soaking wet and I canโ€™t use any adhesive) . Attempted to remove some algae with siphon so removed a bit of water with that and worried now will disturb fishless cycle.. running out of dr tims and next best I could get hold of ammonia is delivering on Sunday only so will have to use smaller doses for now , it goes down quickly as nitrites at its highest.
Anyway sorry for a rant just feel like Iโ€™m losing a battle here.

Asked everyone I know if they know who might want to re home or sell any fish, but nothing so far.. I wonder , it seems like i can get shrimps At the moment, would this be sufficient to carry on with the tank until I can get fish? Or am I better just adding ammonia every day ( possibly for weeks)

๐Ÿ˜Š thank you!! ( sorry for moaning again)
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod

It will be ok. :)
Just keep adding ammonia until you get fish. Shrimp aren't a big bioload so the muncher colonies will go dormant/die back to their lower level to cope.
Whereabouts are you again?