Starter advice - help!

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
afc69
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 1 time

Hi all, I'm going to get back into keeping tropical fish, now that I'm in my 60s and recently retired.

I kept tropical fish way back in the late 70s when in my mid teens, but then, other stuff took over :rofl: Used to keep Angel fish, Tiger Barbs, Guppies, Neon Tetras etc etc. Wasn't an altogether successful experience, lifespan of the fish wasn't long but I never quite worked out why that was - ph levels of water, for example, or the types and quantities of fish I was trying to group together?

Had a look at my local Dobbies and Pets at Home today, to see tank sizes. As a beginner, would you reckon a 60 litre tank would suffice (60cm x 30cm x 40cm|) and if so, how would you guys stock it - type of fish and how many of each?

From memory, I recall being advised to have a couple of scavengers in the tank, to snaffle up all the food that dropped to the bottom of the tank, is that still the advice?

Plants, I take it they are vital to the setup?

Once you have the tank filled up with water, how long before you can introduce the lovelies into the water? I'm going on hols for 2 weeks in late May/early June so was thinking of getting the tank soon, getting it setup and filled up with water but holding off stocking it till I get back, that sound right?
Chris_jennings
Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 110 times

Hi and welcome.

There are a couple of good articals on this site to help get you started.

https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1494

https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=8002

hope these help.

Also it is best to get as big a tank as you can budget for or have space for, things go wrong slower in a larger volume of water.
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 863 times
Been liked: 1839 times

Best to get as big a tank as you have room for; lots of second hand options go for quite cheap on eg Facebook Marketplace too.

You’ll need to figure out your water parameters to get the right stock; looks like you had a right mix of hard and soft water species as well as some not suited to tank sharing!

If you search for your postcode and water parameters in Google, it’ll give you an idea. But it’s always preferable to test your water personally to stay on top of any issues, so a liquid test kit like APi or NT Labs so you can accurately measure gH/kH (hardness/ability to maintain pH), pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

You’ll need to cycle your tank before stocking and you can’t leave it empty without the beneficial bacteria dying off (if you read the guides on the forum, it’ll explain the cycling process). So I’d say you could take time to do your research and then set it up so you can start cycling once you’re back from your holiday.
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
Bluetaurus
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 76 times

Hello and welcome
Superfish home 110 ,Superfish aqua pro 300 filter, + APS hob 500 filter.
Low tech set up.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4279 times
Been liked: 3925 times

Greetings :] & welcome to AF-UK
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1422 times
Been liked: 3421 times

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

I echo what VikingMummy2015 had said.
Get the largest aquarium that is in your budget range, the bigger the aquarium the more options available.
Water hardness is a key factor when selecting fish (there are soft water fish species and hard water fish species); which town do you live ?

All the best
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 13 x Cory caudimaculatus, 10 x Cory sterbai 49 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)