Rainbows

jammedfool
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 301 times

I'm thinking about trying rainbowfish again...

I still have one dwarf neon left... the rest didn't do well with possible iridovirus like disease.

Stupid question no. 2 of the day... are they like tetras etc. And need shoals of their own species or could I e.g. mix in some forktails?
To go in the 90L in my signature

Not sure whether to add a male cherry barb as well for more colour in there...

Any ideas without overstocking? Guppies have behaved so far
40L nano
4x xiphophorus pygmaeus
Cherry shrimp
2x assassin snail

80L 'stairway'
4x Cherry Barb
10x X-ray tetra
4x Amano
1x Dwarf Neon Rainbow

20L Qtank
just java moss
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5447 times
Been liked: 2668 times

I would up the cherry barb numbers a bit rather than adding a new species. Dont ask me for definite on numbers but i’d guess you’d be ok adding another 6 to even the numbers out.
Larger rainbows will generally be ok with each other, but they are naturally found in groups of their own kind. I wouldn’t mix large and small rainbows like boesmani and forktails as you would probably find the boes would be too active for the forktails and the forktails would end up injured or killed.
With the single dwarf neon you would probably be ok with forktails (not sure about with the barbs though)
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

Agreed, the current dwarf neon probably won't school with forktails though.
If the 4 cherries you have are female then a male could be a good idea for more movement and colour.
jammedfool

Thanks all
Yes I'm trying to add a bit of colour because although xrays look great shoaled, they are essentially silvery colour.
I would have more dwarf neons and their iridescence would add some colour. Otherwise they sometimes just look silver again and everyone blends in.. but I do feel bad that she's in there alone lol
I'll have a play on aqadvisor

Any other species suggestions welcomed!
40L nano
4x xiphophorus pygmaeus
Cherry shrimp
2x assassin snail

80L 'stairway'
4x Cherry Barb
10x X-ray tetra
4x Amano
1x Dwarf Neon Rainbow

20L Qtank
just java moss
jammedfool

This shows fine for stocking but way under filtered... the filter I have seems to have adequate flow, I don't want the washing machine effect!

They have the jbl cristalprofi e700 as 110l. If it refers to turnover the e702 should be 700l ::think::

Going for 6x furcatus reduces the stocking but i still have the problem of the lone neon dwarf. Still says I need more filtration... that must be wrong, this thing moves so much water!
40L nano
4x xiphophorus pygmaeus
Cherry shrimp
2x assassin snail

80L 'stairway'
4x Cherry Barb
10x X-ray tetra
4x Amano
1x Dwarf Neon Rainbow

20L Qtank
just java moss
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

Personally, as the dwarf neons seem to have some sort of their own iridovirus I wouldn't stock any more, let her live her life out - exactly the same happened to me.
Go for the furcatus if you want them.
The filter thing does sound a bit iffy......??