My 75 Gallon Stocking

Angel's, Discus, Oscars, Rams, Malawi etc.
Meijueiro99

Hi guys,
I've had a 75 gallon tank set up for about 3 months now and was all seeming to go well. I have 3 inch Green Terror, 2 inch Electric Blue Jack Dempsey, 3 inch Convict and a bristlenose catfish. They're all pretty small still and all juveniles. I did have a juvenile oscar but it sadly passed away this morning. This has worried me in thinking theres something wrong with my aquarium but all the other fish are flourishing, growing and showing good colour. I want to get another oscar as i think this is just a one off as all my water parameters and temperatures are fine after using API kit. What do you think i should do? I really want an oscar but maybe thinking a firemouth instead and maybe another bristlenose. I dont want to overstock is because i know these fish will grow. I am also looking at buying a 6ft at least 125 gallon tank also. Any ideas on stocking or what you think might of caused my oscar to die.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

Oscars are easily bullied, so my guess is the JD or terror bullied it. The tanks not big enough for what you have in it so I’d upgrade sooner than later.

I wouldn’t put an Oscar in with them though!
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

Welcome to the forum. :)

I wouldn’t keep an Oscar or an EBJD with a Green Terror. The GT will probably bully or kill them both. GTs are a very aggressive fish, and Oscars and EBJDs are not, so I wouldn’t keep them together.
Firemouths live in groups, and are also not aggressive as cichlids go. They’re substrate sifters that don’t have a mouth strong enough for a fight.
I would recommend at least a 180g as an upgrade. Anything smaller will increase the stress and aggression once the GT gets big.
Last edited by black ghost on Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4253 times
Been liked: 3917 times

Greetings :] & welcome to AF-UK
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

Welcome to the forum. :)
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian