Betta coccina - Scarlet Betta - Youngsters Available!

Betta's, Gouramis etc
alberthaas
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

The Scarlet Betta, also referred to as Betta coccina.

This stunning species has an interesting past and particular care needs. Here are some essential specifics:

Etymology:

The word "ikan betah," a common Malay phrase for the species in this genus, is whence the name "Betta" originates. The word "coccina" comes from the Latin word for scarlet and refers to the fish's bright red body colouring.

Distribution:

On the Indonesian island of Sumatra, in the provinces of Jambi and Riau, as well as in Johor state in Peninsular Malaysia, these Bettas may be found in a variety of habitats.

Habitat:

As a stenotopic fish, the Betta coccina lives in peat swamp forests and the streams that feed into them. Limited light penetration is a result of the thick canopies that characterise these habitats. The water often has a low concentration of dissolved minerals, a pH as low as 3.0 or 4.0, and is frequently darkly coloured by humic acids and other compounds from decomposing organic matter. Normally, branches, fallen leaves, and submerged tree roots cover the substrate.

Standard Length Maximum:

These Bettas grow to a maximum size of 35 to 40 mm.

Size of aquarium:

An aquarium with a base dimension of 45 x 30 cm is adequate for keeping a couple or a small group of Betta coccina.

Maintenance:

A completely designed aquarium with driftwood roots, branches, and clay plant pots for cover works well to provide a suitable environment. In addition to provide shelter, the addition of dried leaf litter encourages the development of microbe colonies, which are an important source of food for the fry. The tannins and compounds generated by decomposing leaves are beneficial to bettas from blackwater settings.

Water Quality:

It's crucial to maintain acidic conditions with very low general hardness and minimal carbonate hardness. It could be essential to use a reverse osmosis system or other techniques to get soft water. These fish love slow-moving waters, thus a mild air-powered sponge filter is suggested.

Diet:

Betta coccina probably feeds on both aquatic and terrestrial invertebrates in the wild. They will eat dry food in captivity, but it's preferable to provide them with a diversified diet of tiny live or frozen meals like Daphnia, Artemia, or bloodworm on a regular basis to improve their colour and general health. Due to their propensity for obesity, Bettas should not be overfed.

Characteristics and Compatibility:

Because of their unique needs for care and personality, scarlet bettas are not recommended for a typical community aquarium. It's preferable to keep them by themselves or with other calm animals. While certain tiny cyprinids and loaches from comparable habitats may get along, it's important to conduct rigorous study before introducing tankmates.

Reproduction and accessibility:

It gives me great pleasure to announce that I have successfully bred several Betta coccina, and that I now have some healthy baby fish that are ready for adoption. Please don't hesitate to get in touch with me for additional details if you're interested in purchasing these lovely Scarlet Bettas.

Keep in mind that Betta coccina is a rare and fascinating species that needs special care and consideration. With this knowledge, I hope to have improved your understanding of them and inspired you to think about putting them in your aquarium.

Availability:

I have a batch of beautiful Betta coccina youngsters available for adoption! If you're interested in adding these stunning Scarlet Bettas to your aquarium, I can ship them within the UK. These young fish have been raised in a carefully maintained environment, and I assure you they are healthy and vibrant. Betta coccina is a unique and captivating species, and I'm sure they will make a fantastic addition to any fish enthusiast's collection. If you'd like to know more or are interested in getting some of these little ones, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Enjoy keeping fish! :woo: