Our First YouTube Video

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Forum suggestion always welcome. All things non-fishy related.
FinTales
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times

Hi all,

Not soliciting for Views or Subs at all but want some honest opinion on our first Channel Video. We will be regularly posting on our YouTube channel but I will not be constantly mentioning on here as I know that is frowned upon.

https://youtu.be/yMIaRi-e9co?si=Ta5RDm87UjSMDRSn

Any and all feedback appreciated.

Many Thanks
Stories about our finned friends!
We are content creators on YouTube. Come and have a watch https://www.youtube.com/@FinTalesUK
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

What’s it about?
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
FinTales

Its just a video of our South American Cichlid setup. We have a this in a Fluval Roma 240.
We are content creators on YouTube. Come and have a watch https://www.youtube.com/@FinTalesUK
Bluetaurus
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 76 times

Hi FinTales
Just watched it.
Very nice video.
Spotlessly clean tank I must add!
Superfish home 110 ,Superfish aqua pro 300 filter, + APS hob 500 filter.
Low tech set up.
mikeyboy123
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 46 times

Pedant’s corner- Kribs are not South American.

That’s not what concerns me though. I’ve not much experience with cichlids but I’m concerned about the mix of cichlids you’ve got in there and how it’ll go in future. I am sure more knowledgeable members will comment further.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1797 times
Been liked: 4265 times

mikeyboy123 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 13:18 pm That’s not what concerns me though. I’ve not much experience with cichlids but I’m concerned about the mix of cichlids you’ve got in there and how it’ll go in future.
I was going to say, the Oscars will need a BIG tank 5ft plus when they grow. I kept a pair in a 4ft tank for around 6 months, they hit 8 - 9" in that time and went onto a huge display tank at my local store.
FinTales

Totally understood. We have 520l Boyu that isnt set up yet so will be separating Oscars etc.
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

Nice tank but there’s a lot of reasons why the fish mix can’t work…

The Oscars will need a much bigger tank, minimum 4ft x2x2 for two. And it won’t be long before the Buenos Aires Tetras start to disappear. You also seem to be feeding them food that’s very difficult for them to eat. I would suggest softer foods, or smaller pellets. Also meaty foods such as prawns, and frozen foods.

Jack Dempseys are aggressive territorial Central American cichlids that absolutely require hard water. They’re not community fish, especially not with other cichlids. They seem like a matched pair that’s very happy together. If the water is hard enough for them they could decide to claim the tank as a breeding territory.

You also have three Kribs (African) which won’t work. The two large ones are male and female. If and when they go into breeding mode they won’t tolerate the small one.

The tank is massively overstocked, ‘going forward’. When the Severums and Silver Dollars have grown, they alone will fully stock the tank.

Sorry for being so critical but the fish come first, and you seem to have had some terrible stocking advice.

:)
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
FinTales

black ghost wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 14:03 pm Nice tank but there’s a lot of reasons why the fish mix can’t work…

The Oscars will need a much bigger tank, minimum 4ft x2x2 for two. And it won’t be long before the Buenos Aires Tetras start to disappear. You also seem to be feeding them food that’s very difficult for them to eat. I would suggest softer foods, or smaller pellets. Also meaty foods such as prawns, and frozen foods.

Jack Dempseys are aggressive territorial Central American cichlids that absolutely require hard water. They’re not community fish, especially not with other cichlids. They seem like a matched pair that’s very happy together. If the water is hard enough for them they could decide to claim the tank as a breeding territory.

You also have three Kribs (African) which won’t work. The two large ones are male and female. If and when they go into breeding mode they won’t tolerate the small one.

The tank is massively overstocked, ‘going forward’. When the Severums and Silver Dollars have grown, they alone will fully stock the tank.

Sorry for being so critical but the fish come first, and you seem to have had some terrible stocking advice.

:)
Dont worry about being critical, this is why I asked for you guys to look.

As I already mentioned we have other tanks ready to set up and will be videoing them too. 520l tank for the Oscars etc