Seachem Prime and Safe.

Phil. P
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 8 times

I always wondered when using Prime whether the treated water should be left to stand for any length of time as there is no advice on the label. From what I've read it can be used straight away, and that's what I've done, but I've read recently that the stuff can be added directly to the tank along with fresh mains water - is this wise?
I've been using Prime but Safe is cheaper, the main difference being afaik that Prime takes out heavy metals, which is probably a good idea where I live. I might alternate the two.

Any observations?
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

Safe is perfectly fine to add straight to tank of water. Its not got stabilisers in it with is pretty much the only difference.
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 1827 times

I mix Safe into a wee cup of tank water then chuck it in as the tap water fills via a hose & pump from my kitchen sink.
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4253 times
Been liked: 3917 times

I use pond dechlorinator, the NT Labs Aquasure.

I've used ever since I found out some breeders use it and it by far cheaper.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Lo1
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 223 times

Phil. P wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:55 pm I always wondered when using Prime whether the treated water should be left to stand for any length of time as there is no advice on the label. From what I've read it can be used straight away, and that's what I've done, but I've read recently that the stuff can be added directly to the tank along with fresh mains water - is this wise?
I've been using Prime but Safe is cheaper, the main difference being afaik that Prime takes out heavy metals, which is probably a good idea where I live. I might alternate the two.

Any observations?
FAQ: How fast does Seachem Prime® work?
Prime® removes chlorine and chloramine almost instantly upon being added to water, and will immediately detoxify ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. The chlorine and chloramine is permanently removed (they are broken down into a form that will not re-associate in water) and the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate detoxification lasts for 48 hours. If you are dosing Prime® specifically to detoxify ammonia or nitrite, you should re-dose Prime® every 48 hours until the bacteria colonies in the tank are large and stable enough to consume these chemicals.
:swim: :swim2: :swim:

NACD OptiWhite Aquarium 140l,
F Zone Stainless Steel 15l filter,
Eheim powerLED+ fresh daylight,
Eheim powerLED+ fresh plants,
AI Nero 3 Powerhead,
Twinstar Nano Sterilizer,
Co2 Art PRO-SE.
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3414 times

Phil. P wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:55 pm I always wondered when using Prime whether the treated water should be left to stand for any length of time as there is no advice on the label. From what I've read it can be used straight away, and that's what I've done, but I've read recently that the stuff can be added directly to the tank along with fresh mains water - is this wise?

Any observations?
If adding directly to the aquarium then dose for the whole aquarium volume.
example: If you have a 240L aquarium then dose for the whole 240L.
If dosing to a bucket then dose for the bucket volume before adding the bucket water to the aquarium.

I currently have a 425L aquarium and add water directly from my mixer tap.
I may do a 50% water change but still must dose Prime for the whole 425L (approx 11ml of Prime).
Adding fresh (chlorinated) water to the aquarium contaminates the whole water volume hence dosing for the whole volume.

(click image to enlarge)
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 11 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)